Something up with the uBlock origin site or just me?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by east85, May 29, 2016.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

uBlock.org is giving me certificate issues, is it giving anyone else certificate issues?

I'm on:
    OS X 10.11.5
    Safari 9.1.1

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just tried and yes, it's giving me the certificate pop-up. After further investigation, it looks like their certificate expired a week ago, hence the warning. Nothing to worry about, though, as it will go away once they get their certificate renewed.

3. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Same here in Safari and Fx. uBlock hasn't been updated in quite awhile. It's been at 0.9.5.2 for a year or so. The filters can still be updated and advanced mode is still effective. The developer has moved on and let his certs expire. Permanent?

uBlock is not, and is inferior to, uBlock Origin (gorhill at git hub). uBlock Origin works in Fx and Chrome.

4. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks to the both of you.

I had no idea uBlock was basically abandoned and that uBlock Origin had no Safari support. I don't really follow these things too closely. Well, I'm not going to download an entirely different browser just to use uBlock Origin and it seems like a bad decision to stick with something that won't get updates so I guess it's time to try something new. I've heard a lot of good things about Wipr so I'll give that a test run.

If anyone else has suggestions feel free to post them. I heard Adblock Plus was bought anonymously and has gone downhill?

5. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

You're welcome. As I said, uBlock in advanced mode is still effective and the third party filters are still being updated. My alternate in Safari is JS Blocker. Whether either of these will be able to be used in the next rendition of OS X - ??? I prefer script blockers, so I haven't tried any Ad blockers per se. I mostly run Fx with NoScript and uBlock Origin.

There's a thread HERE that might have the information you're looking for.

6. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

The cert appears to have been renewed.