Something Very Strange

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cbbob, Apr 29, 2010.

1. cbbob macrumors member

In my address book on the dock I have a name and e-mail address for this person. In mail I wanted to send a message to him and started a new message. I clicked on the address book in mail and his name came up but no e-mail address came up YET it shows everything in the address book on the dock.
    Can anyone help.
    Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac, what Mac OS X, Mail and Address Book version do you have?

And is it only one address?

Have you tried repairing permissions via Disk Utility?

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Example: eMail address is in Address Book, but not in Mail.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

Btw, the DOCK is only a placeholder for applications and folders, it is not their actual resting place. The Address Book resides at Macintosh HD / Applications.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Second.

And, when posting a question, provide relevant information:
    OS version (always!)
    Troubled app version
    Mac specs (when appropriate)
    etc.

4. colocolo macrumors 6502

I wholeheartedly agree with the need to type a more descriptive thread title, to lure the right people in. I also concur that searching first is very useful.

But, in this particular case, I think you are just annoying the OP with the rest of your post.
    If it is Tiger or Leopard or Snow Leopard, will you answer change? Really?
    And if you know two different causes for two different versions of the OS, why not post both instead? That way you might help more people.

The fact is probably, even if the OP provided every single but of info, including what he/she is wearing right now, you still wouldn't be able to produce any meaningful answer, or you would already have done so.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is extremely useful to post every single bit of info that can provide a clue as to what is going on, but I will go out on a limb here and say that wouldn't help you to come up with the right response. :)

To the OP: I have no idea what might be the cause of your problem :D

I would try, as someone else hinted at, retyping that person if it is the only one who is giving you issues and try again.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Oh, do you mean the behavior in Mail that substitutes the contact name in Address Book for their email address? If you want to see the email, just click the little triangle to the right of the name, and a pop-up menu will appear with their email address, so you can verify that it's the right one.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Any other useless suggestions spinnerlys?

To the OP:

Make sure that the email address is in the correct field. Address Book isn't labeled very well.

If the address is in a phone entry (which can be labeled home just as an email entry) it will not appear in Address Book when opened inside Mail, this is because Mail only grabs email entries.

This is likely what is happening since it shows up when you run Address Book.app.

The email fields in Mail are typically the second set if using the default template. See the attached image and take note of labels which show the type of data that should be entered.

Attached Files:

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I agree to some point, that it might be annoying. I cut back in recent months, maybe it was due to better thread titles or whatever.

Bet's say the OP gives the full details about the OS and similar information, but I can't help the OP regardless. Does that mean no one else can?

Maybe it's a known issue with a certain version of Mail, OS and AB, maybe it's not. But the more information we can get, the more information we have to get to a solution.

Have a read in this thread, "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006.

And once in a while there is a thread about those bland thread titles, where members complain about those vacant thread titles, that occur once in a while. Since there is no actual enforcement, I and some others provide a hint at the OP to maybe change it. Since I have done this several times last year, sometimes more than once on a day, I made a template, the one you saw.

So in the end, if I come across a bland thread title, I will post my standard reply. Many others do that with the virus threads and all the other repeating occurrences of topics.

All in all, I understand where you are coming from, but that won't change my view on this. One can easily avoid those posts, they are gray after all. And more often it helped, than it didn't.

Haven't you read the rest of my post about that thread title stuff? Animal.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Disk permissions? On what world do you live in where this would be a permissions issue?

The fact is you don't know how to troubleshoot. Sure it may be annoying for someone to not give you the right information or a generic title, but for people that know how to handle these situations it is common and expected. The typical user does not care about giving you all the information you need to solve the problem. They just want their problem solved. In this situation, the additional details you requested are likely unnecessary, but since you can't answer it you ask for them anyway and belittle the OP for not giving it to you.

People come here for help. Not to be told to search and give more specific titles. You are not a moderator. If the mods have an issue with it, report the post and move on. Filling the fourm with your custom images is less than helpful. Why not instead create a guide with all your fancy images and link to it.

Quite often the first response in a thread is some BS from you about what the person isn't doing right. If you can't answer the question move along and let someone else do it.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Part 1 - Yes, it might. I never used Tiger and haven't bleached my Leopard yet.

Part 2 - OP, if you're using Leopard, you might try this:

Find this file and move it to your Desktop
    HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
    Now go into Mail. This will make a new, default plist file.
    Check it out. Did that fix it?
    If so, you can Trash the plist on the Desktop.
    If not, you can put that plist file back where it came from and overwrite the new one.
    I've really no idea if this will apply in 10.4 or 10.6 for the reasons stated above.

10. cbbob thread starter macrumors member

I'm using SL 10.6.3. In my address book the e-mail address shows. I go to mail and want to send a new message. When I click on that address book in mail the e-mail address does not show in that book yet I think that they are both the same book aren't they?

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

or not

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Please read what I stated in post #6 and rule that out as your problem.

And I can tell you that deleting the mail.plist as recommended by Gregg2 isn't going to help you.

13. Haruhi macrumors regular

AH THIS ERROR is quite well known so cal;m down nothing to wrory aboyut! if you have recently installed something new thne contacts may have got a little lost in the process. Just add a contact agaoin and check thatg youj fill in the right boxes! I knokw thisj sounds simple enoguh compared to other answers but AO.IKI always went throulgyhn this problem!
    If this doiesnt work thEN REINSTALL the contacts page... dont worryh youj can still save all the files that youi hacve always wanted to keep, no prob.
    Thank yoyu foe liarwning¬