something was eating my CPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Flake, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

I was doing some really light browsing, I had only Chrome running with 2 tabs open but I noticed my mbair was running unusually hot, 80 deg celsius and the CPU was only 40% idle. I quit chrome and made to log out and then back in but when I pressed Log Out chrome suddenly opened again (the light under the icon in the dock came on) and wouldn't quit. I looked in Activity Monitor and it said chrome was using about 100% of the cpu, I force quit it and after logging out/in everything was fine. I think this is just a random one time thing but was curious as to what happened :confused:

Attached Files:

2. noripwr macrumors member

I see several Google Chrome Renderer and the Shockwave plug-in.

Now I can't say with complete confidence that they are the culprit, but I will say from my experience that I stopped using Google Chrome due to similar issues you are experiencing.

As for me, I use Safari or Firefox when I want to watch web videos (Flash-based). Because for some unknown reason with Google Chrome, opening several tabs of Flash videos will cause stuttering, slow-down, high temps, and high fan RPM. On the other hand, I never experience those symptoms when having several tabs of Flash video open in Safari or Firefox.