Something weird about WWDC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

This is the first WWDC in recent history that there isn't some huge hype about a hardware product...it's just weird to me. Usually Apple is super secretive and all of a sudden they just announce the things that they are going to be unveiling...it make me wonder.... :D

[/speculation]

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think it's a giant relief. Apple has laid out it's main agenda for the keynote and therefore we can just sit back and hear about the details.

If they want to throw in new/updated hardware details that is fine with me, but at least we (MR forums) are not in a tizzy about the new 3D tablet that will not be introduced.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Probably because the iphone 5/4S is not a big step forward from iphone 4. It is not as nearly as dramatic change from 3GS to 4.

iOS 5, iCloud and Lion will be main topics. I do believe apple will announce iphone 4S or 5 in this keynote.

4. saving107, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why did Apple pre-announce what they will talk about at WWDC, to lower the expectations of a new iPhone refresh. Right before any Apple event their is outstanding amounts of hype because everyone fantasizes what they hope Apple will announce, and as soon as they don't their are floods of people that rush to forums to call the event a "Let Down"

Before the iPad was announced, it had been rumored for several years, and if Apple held a music event in September were they usually released new iPods, the media and people on forums would be quick to speculate "Will this be the event where Apple finally announces their Tablet?", and if all they announced were brand new iPods, the event would have been a "Let Down" or "Lame".

I think this time Apple is trying to lower the expectations so that people can not feel let down come Monday afternoon, though clearly it hasn't been affective since some people still believe their to be a new iPhone hardware announcement.

I believe their will be some new Hardware refresh at WWDC, but it will be limited to the MacBook Air and possibly Airport Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule.

WWDC has always been about Developers and Software, so it won't be anything unusual if during Monday's opening Keynote all Apple talks about is Software.

5. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Why would apple want to lower the hype??? I thought Apple was all about media coverage. I think that they are going to wow us with something big this year they have just done a great job of keeping things under wraps this year. Obviously Steve wasn't too happy about what happened with the iPhone 4 last year.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I really don't know why they'd try to...

Oh. Right. :rolleyes:

7. Supadoodles macrumors newbie

Supadoodles

I don't think it's lowering hype as much as it is setting expectations.

8. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

you mean the 'death grip' thing?

Just look at apples quarterly sales. They are still happy believe me.

9. jmo1116 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Exactly. I think Apple will announce a new iPhone and it will surprise everyone. Not letting any info out is a really good thing for them. It certainly makes me anticipate the event more than already knowing what's going to happen like last year.

10. gofightlose macrumors member

gofightlose

for a 'developers' conference, I kind of expect the emphasis to be software, and like someone else said the next iphone probably won't be that huge of a change, at least nothing that would really concern developers. Telling us before the conference was odd, but all it did was make me more excited...how are they going to implement icloud? what's new in ios? when will Lion come out? haha, i'm excited. [/fanboy]

11. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Hmmmmmmmmm......

At first I thought it was a kinda eye brow raising the way they had lion, 5, I cloud in that one photo.....

And now you made me speculate too...

It could go either way... Like they are telling us what's coming to make us not expect too much...

But what if it ends up being a 4g/s or 5 secretly and they were just trying to throw us off scent

Hmmmm

12. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

+1 This is my feelings on it. Maybe I am graspng at straws, But I just feel that after last year epic leak that apple has went above and beyond to keep this years release a secret.

13. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Yep, that's why I'm switching to Galaxy S2. Can't stay with the same device for more than a year. ADD, obsessively compulsive about having the newest & greatest, don't tolerate obsolescence and simply don't want to wait.

14. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Obviously, none of us know what's happening, but I can predict this.

The people who have been banging on about an iPhone 5 or 4S announcement, almost begging it to be unveiled at WWDC, will be the same ones who'll turn into the "F-You Apple, you dropped the ball/I'm going to Android" crowd if no new phone is unveiled. And even then, for some, it won't be enough ...

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

^ Exactly.

C'mon people, be realistic with these rumors and speculations.

Apple specifically told everyone what to expect so everyone doesn't expect what the norm is at WWDC, which is the iPhone hardware upgrade. Sometimes, things aren't that complicated and shouldn't be made out to be that way either.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Maybe I'm just in denial or my inner fanboy is surfacing, but I believe a new iPhone will be released at WWDC. I really think Apple is trying extra hard to squash any leaks after last year's fiasco. Oh well, come Monday we'll all find out.

17. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

I don't think there'll be an iPhone. Right after the white iPhone and the Verizon one? Seems unlikely, although they are probably cutting down production now due to it being the end of a cycle.

Also, the device can't have iOS 5 on because they'll probably need to seed it to developers first to guarantee app compatibility.

Hardware wise, I think a new MacBook Air is unlikely. I reckon the Mac Pro and Mac Mini will be next up, due to them both having server editions. Due to the single OS (not regular and server) nature of Lion, there isn't really a need for two versions. I'm guessing the lines will be concentrated down as soon as Apple can. Plus, these are the Macs most due for an update.

Oh, and I agree that there'll be a Time Capsule.

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I'm just exited, unfortunately I'll be in school and WWDC starts at 1 here. I'll have to check my phone every couple min to see some sites blog like engadget.

19. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I think if they wait until September just to release a warmed over iPhone 4, they're going to look pathetic.

20. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Took the words out of my mouth..

If we have to wait until September it better be something amazing..