Something weird happened tonight with my internet connection.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Alfonsomac, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Alfonsomac macrumors member

Well, guys what happened isn't a problem right now, but now i'm curios.

Let me try to explain what was going on...

Until this afternoon everything worked fine on my iMac, but tonight, even if my internet connection was available on my iPhone or iPad (and of course it was available in my router status), it didn't work on my Mac.
    I tried to reset the dock, the Finder, to clean the Mac and repair permissions (for what it's worth) but it didn't worked. The page in Safari was always white, except when i visited my router option.
    It didn't load any websites, on Chrome and Firefox neither. I also couldn't update my apps because internet connection was absent, but Transmission was uploading something at 30kb/s.
    Then, a friend called me and he had the exact same problem.
    After thirty minutes, while we were talking and trying to understand what was happening, he said to me his connection on Mac was back, and when i checked mine, the same happened.

What may be the problem? Some Apple server? I really don't know what to think.

Thanks, and sorry for the english :)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. So Transmission handled torrents without issue? Your iPhone and iPad over worked fine over Wi-Fi? But, you could not access the Web via any browser. Is this correct?

What about your email during this mysterious outage?

Let me say upfront that Apple maintains absolutely no control over how you access the Internet on any device--not your iPhone, not you iPad, and not your iMac. Permissions have almost nothing to do with anything--the least of which is your Internet connection.

You sound like someone who may be a resident of a country where people use proxy servers to access the Web. This they do to avoid government restrictions on Internet access. Furthermore, it sounds like you do not access torrents through the proxy server. It also sounds like the that server was down for a period. Services that are not relayed through the proxy server were unaffected.

3. Alfonsomac thread starter macrumors member

Yep, Transmission handled my torrents and my iPhone and iPad worked without any issue. I couldn't access the web through my browsers. Mail and the Mac App Store didn't work.

Yeah i know that permissions had nothing to do, but i really didn't know what to do. I tried different things, until i realized that the problem wasn't related to the OS or any of my app.

Well, i live in Italy, i don't think (but i don't know) my provider redirects to proxy servers to access the internet. Some warez site is blocked by police, but changing the DNS you can go into it without any problem.

However, i didn't notice any weird event if my friend didn't have the same thing. I mean, other devices worked fine but our Macs didn't; and as soon as his iMac could access to internet, the mine could too.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The use proxy servers is usually done by businesses and individuals, not by Internet Service Providers. Italy is not known as an oppressive regime. Therefore, your national government is not the explanation for your problems.

However, I am curious about the relationship between you and your friend. I have seen cases where users had setup access to the Internet via proxy servers without realizing what they had done. Did one of you help the other setup Internet access on his Mac? If you did, then did you do more than simply plug your Ethernet cable into the RJ-45 Ethernet port on the rear of your Mac?

5. Alfonsomac thread starter macrumors member

No absolutely, i setup my internet access and he did the same. I probably helped him the first time, but i didn't do anything strange. I mean, it's so simple to configure the internet access in network preferences, you really don't need to do anything more than usual.
    However, we both don't use ethernet cable, since we are connected over wifi.

In according to your first post, the thing which make more sense than other, it's a common server which was offline in this thirty minutes. But i really don't use any proxy.

I think all this may be unresolved, but it's curious. :rolleyes:

In any case, in the first post i forgot to thank you for the interest. ;)