Something weird happening...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mini5974, Nov 18, 2008.

1. mini5974 macrumors newbie

My 2g iPhone, just yesterday for no apparent reason, with no devices attached, now turns on on its own with a quick flash of the "...this iPhone cannot work with this device...do you want to switch to Airplane mode?...." message box and then sits there in the ON mode (slide to unlock screen) for about 10 seconds and turns off again. The whole process starts again every few minutes or so...

I haven't dropped it, spill anything on it, etc...nothing!

Has anyone heard of this before??? Can anyone figure out what may have caused this??? and is it fixable???

Thanks very much!
    ~Lynn

2. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I would try a full restore to see if that doesnt fix it.

Also, try shooting some canned air on the iPhone plug and also the base station or usb cord. I have 2 puppies and sometimes it can become pretty dusty in our house. Sometimes it just takes alittle dust to muck up the connection.

3. mini5974 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I lose all my apps and info with I do a full restore???

Thanks!

4. davyreins macrumors 6502

Yes you do. So you need to make sure you back up your iphone before you do a restore. Once you do a back up and restore your phone you will be able to re-sync it

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I just got done performing a full from-scratch restore of my iPhone. I did not choose to restore from backup, I just let it re-sync all my contacts, photos, music, etc. All my apps came back, everything was fine.

It's a very easy process to go through. I restored mine just for "housekeeping" and cleanup purposes.

I'd say try that first. If not, an appointment with a Genius might be in your future....:(

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I think that we all forget that this phone is in fact a complex computer and needs to be wiped occasionally. Fortunately it's a fairly easy process.