Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
How is that going to affect , when the mother itself is not working, i.e , modem ports.

Shall I try attaching a router to one of them port and attaching PC cables to the router ?

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
How is that going to affect , when the mother itself is not working, i.e , modem ports.

Shall I try attaching a router to one of them port and attaching PC cables to the router ?

no attach all computers to switch and switch to modem.....

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
It sounds like the power to me. Swap out the desktops and use PC laptops using battery power if you won't move your DSL model to another outlet in another room and use a wireless setup. One outlet for all that is just wrong.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
That same as connecting all to router and then connecting router to modem.
What is the switch going to do here, if router can connect all to one ?

Just dont want to waste another 50$ in a switch and then throw it, if it doesnt solve it.

no attach all computers to switch and switch to modem.....

Umm, not sure, what you just said.
Well, I also tried connecting the modem alone in a 2nd power outlet and then connected the PC to other power outlet and tried, but as soon as the ehternet cord got inserted, the modem DSL was gone. :(
It sounds like the power to me. Swap out the desktops and use PC laptops using battery power if you won't move your DSL model to another outlet in another room and use a wireless setup. One outlet for all that is just wrong.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
have you tried replacing the ethernet cable?

a switch will do the switching for you and it will not have a dhcp server it will let the modem deal with that! If you use a router you will ahve 2 dhcp servers and thingsa may get confusing....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.