Something weird is going on...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jayson A, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Jayson A macrumors 68000

So we've all heard about the iPhone 6 bending issue.

From the stories I've heard online, people are saying things like "I never put it in my back pocket and I never sit down with it. I also always have it on a flat surface and in a case, but it bent somehow"

How are some of these 6's just bending with seemingly no effort at all, yet I've had mine in my pockets since I got it and it's still straight (with no case at all).

I wonder what's going on here.

1. Are there some iPhone 6's that are weaker than others?
    2. Are people lying about how their phone was bent?
    3. Are people mistreating their iPhones?
    4. Are people bending them on purpose and then get mad because Apple won't replace their purposefully bent iPhone?
    5. Are they just rich Android fans that want to give Apple a bad name?
    6. Are these people being paid by Samsung to give Apple bad press?

Anyway, like I said, it hasn't happened to me yet and I've been treating my iPhone the same way I have treated all of my previous iPhones. When or IF it ever does bend on me, then I'll know for sure that those people were right all along.

I guess my biggest fear is having my iPhone bend without mistreating it and then having Apple refuse to replace it under warranty saying that I bent it from misuse.

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

3. dishfan82 macrumors member

First of all it's not a smart idea to put a $650 + device in your back pocket to begin with. That's like putting your wallet in your back pocket. You're just asking for it to get stolen.

I doubt people are bending them on purpose unless they're really rich and can afford to go get another one.

Android fans will continue to mock Apple and make fun of us Apple fans and I just say let them. I know Apple is behind on features but iOS stays stable most of the time. I've tried android several times and although parts of it are fantastic, I just prefer Apple's iOS.

4. ttmrn macrumors regular

all i have to say is..

rich pple got no time for all these rubbish.

5. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

when your iPhone bends, how will you "prove" that you aren't one of the 6 lists you just posted (not just to Apple, but to people here as well)? ;)

didn't we see enough of the "I defended iPhone 6 until mine bent too" threads already?

6. saab9573 macrumors 6502

saab9573

5th week of iPhone 6 plus ownership...no bend.....moving on!

7. stasha macrumors 6502

When i hold my iphone 6 plus it feels heavy and solid so i dont believe the bendgate , you CANT bend it.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

So now, along with phones, we're not keeping wallets in our pockets?

You certainly can bend it. The iPhone 5 and 5s has reports of bending, and it's a thicker "sturdier" phone. But I'm doubtful that it is something that will bend with normal use.

9. justindavis098 macrumors member

Something weird is going on...

Wi'll we ever get past this subject? I'm sure it's the government's fault.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Clearly you've yet to be a victim of #pickpocketgate :)

This. Even with thinness aside, there's a radio to having a larger phone, and it's that it becomes less pocketable. Want a 5+ inch screen? It's time to think about putting it somewhere other than your pocket when you aren't using it.

11. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

A few iPhones were sat on or abused, a few more had manufacturing defects that caused them to bend far too easily.

99.9% of people wont ever have a problem and the 00.1% will get them replaced by apple easily and painlessly.

Bendgate over. Your welcome

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Fortunately, you are correct.

13. Jayson A thread starter macrumors 68000

I thought a lot of these people with bent iPhones are saying that Apple is refusing to replace them under warranty. If it truly is a manufacturing defect that is causing "some" phones to bend more easily than others, then shouldn't Apple honor the warranty?

14. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Please use 6 Plus in such topics, the 6 does not bend!

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I met my first bend victim on Sunday. He has a gold 64gb 6+ and the phone bent so bad it's cracked the screen! I asked him how he did it and he said he slid it into his back pocket, forgot about it and then put all his weight on it when he got into the driving seat of his car. Gutted lol. This guy had managed a month without bending it in his front pocket though. His accident was completely his fault :)

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Come on now. Don't state fiction as fact.

17. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

The 6 bends like any other Android phone out there bends.
    The 6+ is the unique one that bend-gate happens to with and without people physically using their hands. Show me some facts applying to the 6 and not the 6 plus. Otherwise, all you've got on me is fiction.:p

18. d4nny macrumors newbie

Screen down wobble?

I finally got my gold iphone 6 plus 128gb last friday. Noticed that when laid screen down on a flat table(tried on different surfaces), that it wobbles (top right corner). I'm not sure if this is considered bent but should the screen lay flush while its on its screen? It doesn't look bent at all and its not where the supposed weak spot is. Doesn't bother me and doesn't affect the phone at all. If there is some issue down the line, i have applecare, so i'm just gonna keep enjoying the phone! weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Notice how you revealed the actual truth without meaning to. The 6 Plus is the phone that BENDGATE happens to. Not normal use bends, but BENDGATE. Which is to say that the Plus is the target of a calculated negative publicity campaign and here you are feeding right into it by spreading more FUD.

20. justinf77 macrumors 6502

Yes, that is considered bent. Mine is the exact same way, except I occasionally just bend it back a little so it's straight again. It doesn't bother me too much at the moment and like you said, it doesn't affect the phone at all, so I'm just going to live with it unless the bend becomes more apparent.

21. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

They may have at one point but they have said recently they will replace them now as long as there are no signs that you've dropped it or otherwise abused it.

You probably have more chance of being struck by lightning than getting a phone with a defect in the metal anyway, its a tiny, tiny percentage of phones with an issue.

22. rGiskard, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

You know it's the "6 Plus" that has the problem, right? Just sayin', because I noticed you only said "iPhone 6" in your post.

Maybe it's only a subset of 6 Pluses that were manufactured in one plant or before a certain date. I hope that's the case, but I'm not optimistic. :confused:

----------

If you wait until it gets worse, there's a chance of bumping or dropping the phone. Apple supposedly will only replace bent iPhones if there are no signs of physical abuse.

23. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

Ha! I suspect some here would keep it a secret so as not to spread "FUD". :rolleyes: Wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the most hostile deniers here actually have bent 6 Pluses. It's like the politicians who talk the biggest game about family values usually keep mistresses or male prostitutes on the side.

24. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Some of us just believe the scientific tests done by multiple people over hearsay and youtube videos. Wacky I know.