Something weird. UPS shipment from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by komiothebeat, Sep 16, 2014.

1. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

So, like many others i had looked up the tracking info on the UPS website with my phone number as the reference number. the UPS website just shows me that a label has been created, and that more info will be available when it moves further in the process.

So when i opened up my UPS app to put my tracking number in there so i can get notifications i noticed something weird....

My shipment says that it is coming from Rialto? and awaiting for UPS(which is like an hour away from me). I thought this to be weird because alot of people are tracking their shipments and they are al saying from China, or how they are making all of these stops to different places...

Anyone care to weigh in?

Attached Files:

2. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Could just be where the package is flying into before it comes to you directly?

3. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Most likely not your phone.

4. uchosen macrumors 6502

There's a UPS freight hub in Rialto. Possible the goods have just landed from China?

5. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

This is normal. My significant others 6 Plus left from China on Sunday, mine is currently sitting about two hours away. Apple has been manufacturing these phones for a few weeks now. Some models were brought to the U.S. prior to announcement. Yours is just one that was here. Others were manufactured later and are shipping from China.

6. mantan macrumors 68000

A huge portion of the shipment was shipped from China and distributed across the US to staging areas. Your preorder is assigned to the closest staging area and will likely get the the short ride to your distribution center for delivery on Thursday. Don't be surprised if there isn't an update until closer to launch day.

People are freaking out about lack of shipping labels/numbers when UPS (and Fed knows) knows they are shipping a lot other devices within a one day radius and will easily be able to get them to the local UPS facilities for delivery Friday morning.

7. wxnats macrumors 6502a

This is normal. Your phone is already in the US and waiting at the distro hub in Rialto.

Mine is in Harrisburg. My partner's Verizon pre-order is in Westchester, PA.

Was it necessary to start a thread for this?

8. komiothebeat thread starter macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

I'm far from freaking out over it, just antsy to get my phone hah. And i figured as much, that they'd ship from a center from the first shipments.

just trying to think of the logistics of it all is kinda scary haha. But i guess that is why they are still in business, and the reason why apple doesnt ship through the USPS :p

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I just wonder who has the distro hub in Rialto of all places. I mean, its not exactly next to an Airport. The closest one would be either SB International or Ontario, neither of which is exactly next door. So is it a UPS or Apple hub?

10. Atken macrumors member

The UPS label for your phone has been created but that's it. The label may or may not be affixed to a box at this point. Even if it is affixed to a box, that box hasn't been picked up by UPS yet (otherwise you would have an Origin scan or similar). Apple has however uploaded the shipping information to UPS.

All UPS has to go off of is what was entered into the system when the label was created. That's what you're seeing when you view the details of the tracking number. So your phone could be anywhere. In fact, historically speaking (based on previous iPhone releases), it's probably in China right now. But when the label was created and the sender/shipper information was entered, a Rialto CA address was used. It's also possible that the UPS shipping number which Apple used is tied to an account based out of Rialto. So the sender/shipper information was pre-populated with the Rialto address.

Basically it means nothing. Until the package is actually picked up and UPS begins to process it, you won't know where it's at. Rest assured though, regardless what you may or may not see in tracking information over the next 48-72 hours, your phone will be delivered on 9/19 just like millions of others :)

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Phones were already in the US before preordering and probably set up regionally. Based on your zip code for delivery, the order may originate in those regionally based points?