Something wrong with iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jonathanuy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jonathanuy macrumors newbie

I have a late 2009 iMac that has been working great until the past few weeks when all of these have been happening:
    1. Continuous Spotlight indexing.
    2. Continuous Time Machine indexing.
    3. And now, Crash Plan appears to be re-backing up all my files!

I've run Disk Utility (no repairs noted), and this still keeps happening. Running 10.7.4. What should I do? Should I attempt to get to the bottom of this before the Mountain Lion upgrade, or might that fix whatever problem I am having. Everything is working, but all this indexing is really dragging down performance, and given that it seems to be continuous over nearly a week, I am worried that there is something off that Disk Utility isn't detecting/repairing.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Are you running Windows in a virtual machine on that Mac?

3. jonathanuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup but not "running" in the past week. It's been there for about a month while these issues seemed to have cropped up over the past week, but the timing does make sense. Nothing essential now, so I am willing to kill/delete it to fix this if necessary. Using Fusion with Win7.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

First thing you should do is set Time Machine NOT to back up the VM image. Crashplan also. Back it up to a folder on your Time Machine disk manually occasionally.

I'll bet that ends all the activity.