Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimaLink

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Somewhere in PA.
Wow, you're tolerance with Apple is great, I got a refund when my second machine had a hairline crack in the screen.

I'd go for the refund and buy an Apple monitor with a MinidisplayPort to *yourgpu'sporthere* adapter for your PC if you don't mind using windows.

If not then buy a Mac Pro, they don't have that many problems other than price.

symbology

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
****Update****

So, after looking at the other display options and reading the issues that can be had with those, and discussing it with my wife........ well we went ahead and tried for iMac #5.

We went to a different Apple Store this time and the first thing I notice while un-boxing the unit is it has the mount/spring issue. The Display does not stay in place after you tilt it upwards (the bottom). After you tilt the screen, it automatically falls down in to a vertical position, even ends up pointing down a little bit. Very disappointed right off the bat. My wife wanted me to head right back to the store and exchange it. I wanted to check out the rest of the machine and not worry about the mount at this time.

So, I still went ahead plugging everything in and I wanted to take a look at the display. It turns out this display is usable. There is a slight gray banding on the bottom, can only see it if you look for it and only slight yellowing (if any). I honestly do not want to try too hard to see the yellowing. I could possibly detect if if I try hard enough. However, I do not notice it while having this forum open in a full screen, and even iTunes in the single line mode looks fine.

During the installation of the updates, I walked into the other room and discussed (with my wife) the possible return of #5. I was explaining to her that the issue was not something that was easily fixed and that I thought that the whole unit would need to be replaced. While I was explaining this to her, I had an idea. Why not use the power cord as a "helper" spring. So, I went back to the iMac and pushed about 3" of the power cable into the hole in the stand. The excess cable was pushed downward to make a U shape (if you were to look at it from the side). This puts just the right amount of tension on the display to help hold it up in place. I'm pretty happy about that, because at this point this is a "keeper"

i7 2.93GHZ
1TB Western Digital
Pioneer DVD
QP serial number which is made in USA (again, this was purchased in an Apple Store)

So, far I am a happy camper. To back up my initial point, this display does have the gray banding issue on the bottom. it is part of the 70% that I consider defective, or not perfect. However, it is not too bad and since it is along the bottom...... this iMac is good enough to make me one of the "Happy iMac Owners".

I still need to load my software and check everything else out, but as far as the display I am happy.

symbology

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
One thing, this 5th iMac has some of the worse back bleed of all of them. Though, the back bleed issue was never the big sore spot with me. Even still, it is not too bad.

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
****Update***

So, far I am a happy camper. To back up my initial point, this display does have the gray banding issue on the bottom. it is part of the 70% that I consider defective, or not perfect. However, it is not too bad and since it is along the bottom...... this iMac is good enough to make me one of the "Happy iMac Owners".

I still need to load my software and check everything else out, but as far as the display I am happy.

Hey, sounds like you got about the same result as me! Got my 27" this evening and so far so good. Am liking the quality of the display- MUCH better than the 21.5" I was getting from the apple store. I think a combination of lowered expectations and a better overall display (combined with the fact that the 27" is so freaking huge!) and I will join you in the happy imac camper zone- just wish I could have got camping a little earlier!

Good luck to the rest of you revolving mac lot!

-Iamthinking

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Man I don't care what all the :apple: fanboys in here say. They always think there are those bashing the product, but the fact of the matter is, a good portion of these machines are ****. There is something wrong with a good majority of them. I am starting to think the American made 27" core i7's have a high percentage of yellowish displays.

When many of us are on our second through fifth machine and you still have to comprimise for a keeper, there is an issue! It is not nitpicking, when you expect to get what you pay for.

I also think many people don't notice or know any better. They are the one's happy with their "perfect" iMacs.

I have also owned enough pc's and gave them the same look over I give the Mac and have never once needed to return a pc or even find any flaws with it for that matter. I once had to return a lcd screen 5 years ago for 3 dead pixels, but the next one I got was PERFECT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.