Something wrong with my imac's disc drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jlyanks85, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Some reason today I'm having issues with my imac reading dvds, and never had this problem before.

I'm trying to handbrake episodes of tv shows and one minute it will read the disc without a problem, I'll handbrake 8 episodes on one disc, then I take it out put disc 2 in and the imac ends up not reading it and spitting the disc out.

Is that a sign there's is something wrong with my disc drive or I handbraked too much at once and it's too hot to read anything?

----------

Guess it was too hot, because I waited 5 mins put the disc back in and imac recognized it without issues.

2. jlyanks85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like I might be having a problem with the disc drive after all. I'm putting in dvds for the hell of it just to see if it's working and it's not reading some at all and there working fine on my blu ray player.

I don't understand why this is happening, everything else is working well on this computer and the dvd drive was just fine the other day.

3. jsgreen macrumors 6502

iMac slot loading superdrives are prone to failure - it's definitely a weak point.

If you ever get a disk stuck in one, search the threads for some removal tricks (some involve sticking a credit card in to encourage the disk to come out).

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

What's your model identifier? (e.g. iMac1,1)

5. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

RHVC59

I had problems with mine a while back. A quick cleaning of the head fixed it for me. I used a credit card wrapped on both sides with a micrfiber cloth suitable for cleaning eyeglasses. I lightly misted the cloth with lens fluid and then gently inserted the cleaning tool into the front loading slot on the at the center end of the slot, closest to the track pad. Then gently moved the card to the right towards to the other end of the cd slot. Pulled the tool out and repeated the process a couple of times.
    That did the trick for me. Once the lens was clean it reads and burns DVDs with no hassles.

I also fixed a friends machine. She was complaining that her DVD drive did not work. While i was replacing her hard drive, I looked at her DVD. I found an airline lugage tag stuck inside. I removed it and she had her DVD back.
    I have also noted that the dvd quits working when the battery is low, once hooked back up to the power supply, everything works works fine againe.

Hope this helps.

6. jlyanks85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now I've tried numerous dvds and all work without a problem. Some reason transformers 3 and fast five are having trouble being recognized.

So it doesn't look like the imac has a disc drive problem, but just can't read a couple dvds.