Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I installed 48GB of RAM in my 3,1 MacPro several years ago and as recently as about 3 weeks ago, I had this after installing an RX580 Card (Note 48GB Memory Size):

Mod Mojave ScreenshotNew.png

Today, I noticed that things had changed to this (Note 44GB Memory Size):

Mod Mojave ScreenshotBork.jpg

I had a look at my memory layout and found that two 4GB modules are now showing as 2GB modules:
memLayout.png

I reckon I have had these in place for about five years now.
Any clues on what may have happened (or worse still may be about to happen) as I certainly didn't swap out my 4GB modules?

Thinking of ditching the two modules and moving the other 4GB ones to the top riser. Thoughts?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Have you tried just reseating the RAM that you have now?
You could swap pairs around, so all chips are now in different slots.
You just have to watch that the 8 GB and 4 GB pairs are in the proper slots for each pair.
(You also might mark the sticks that currently show as 2 GB, to see if that same pair still show as 2 GB, even after moving those to different slots.)

Reactions: Dayo and OkiRun

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks.

Reseating brought no joy neither did several rearrangement configurations until this one:
memLayoutB.png

The dodgy ones are the innermost ones on the bottom riser

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you also run a test of the RAM, to see if there is still any issues?
Your Diagnostics test would be a good choice - Might be good to run that overnight - it might take that long to complete.

Reactions: Dayo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.