Somethings Not Right With My MAC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bazza01, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Bazza01 macrumors member

Hi, I have a 5K Retina iMac which is about 7 months old.

Just recently there have been some odd goings on with it which I hope someone can explain or help to resolve.

The first issue I encountered was the mouse pointer displaying a "No Entry" sign - red circle with a diagonal line inside.

The mouse pointer would move but no allow e to select anything. The keyboard worked and I eventually managed to close down the Mac.

However, it would reboot to the password entry screen but every time I went to input my password I would type the first character and then the password box would quickly fill itself.

I turned off the computer for a while and this resolved the problem.

A couple of days later I encountered a similar issue when trying to enter the password - complete one character and the box would quickly fill itself and become unresponsive.

Anyone experienced similar? It's very frustrating and the sort of thing I'd expect from my PC!

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Check to see if your keyboard is glitchy and keys are getting stuck or not. Open the virtual keyboard if you can, then see if any keys are being pressed when you aren't actually pressing them. If so, then your keyboard has gotten water damage, and your keyboard is trash.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Reset PRAM, and if you see the issue again reinstall OS X.

4. Bazza01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

With regards to the sticky keys I can rule out water damage as my keyboard has not been subject to any spillages.
    If it was a sticky key issue I would expect this to show itself when writing emails etc. but I never do. It has only appeared when I tried to input my password and the last occurrence of the problem described was a few days ago.

I will run the virtual keyboard to see if there is any unprompted inputs.

If I install OS X do I have to format the HD or take any other course of action? Before doing so I will reset PRAM (I'll find how to do so as I have no idea what this is!!)

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.