Something's not right

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reuvenbrom, Aug 18, 2009.

1. reuvenbrom macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 15" MBP 2.66 with 9600M GT graphics. Here's my issue:

- When plugged into AC, expose is fine.
    - When running on battery, expose runs choppy (even with "Higher Performance" graphics set in Energy Saving)

Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

That doesn't sound right, I have the same MBP and expose is just fine on both graphics cards. have you run any hardware diagnostics?

3. reuvenbrom thread starter macrumors newbie

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Is it all the time, even when the processor is say running a real app. in the background?

Could it be the speedstepping for the processor to save battery? Lowers clock when doing little kinda' thing. You'll notice it with genie effects and expose and other fancy things when the machine is doing very little on battery power and then you hit it with one of those seemingly small tasks (but it's not so small) at a lower clock speed.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

even with a bajillion windows open my ancient MBP does not freeze. this sounds very odd.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nice idea, could be that.. but then wouldnt everybody be complaining about it?

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

If you put your restore disc in and boot holding D (I think, from memory) you'll boot into a hardware diagnostic mode, run the tests and see if something comes up, if it does, I'd be taking it to a genius bar and showing them/getting a repair/replacement.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

There have been a few posts similar to this. It's not really a problem or performance issue when the computer is running and taking in commands or already working in some way. It's only as it sits a wee bit idle.

If you hit expose repeatedly in quick succession, do the windows seem jittery or each time or is it only the first one?

9. reuvenbrom thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I just went to an Apple store and checked out every notebook. All of them (including the most expensive 17") do the same thing as my machine, except the 13" models (maybe because they run at a lower resolution or maybe they have some different CPU throttling).

AC Plugged in ("Higher Performance" set):
    - Dock positioned on bottom, 2 Finder windows = choppy Expose
    - Dock positioned on bottom, many Finder windows = smooth Expose
    - Dock positioned on right, 2 Finder windows = smooth Expose
    - Dock positioned on right, many Finder windows = smooth Expose

Running on Battery ("Higher Performance" set):
    - Dock in any position, any number of Finder windows = choppy Expose, with possible smoothening after the second or third time of calling Expose

Doesn't make any sense, this sort of thing shouldn't happen on a $2000 laptop with 4GB RAM and 2 friggin video cards(which is why I picked this model over the cheaper one without the 9600M GT). I think they took the CPU energy saving idea too far. But at least now I know its not only my machine.

In addition, I have Windows 7 Release Candidate (64-bit) installed, and it too has variable smoothness when opening/closing/maximizing/minimizing windows.

To respond to the above, I did the hardware diagnostics and there were no problems.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats pretty much an insult!! yea the throttling as gone too far.

but i must say, even my original MBP running at 1GHz does not look choppy at all, even with a million windows open.

maybe they underclock the GPU significantly whilst on battery and that is causing it.

11. reuvenbrom thread starter macrumors newbie