Something's wrong with WoW's performance on my alu MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by xJus10x, Apr 25, 2009.

1. xJus10x macrumors regular

I just got the 2.4ghz refurbished aluminum MacBook and for some reason WoW runs pretty smooth, around 45fps, when I start playing, but as I continue playing it just bogs down my whole computer. I start to get around 15-20fps, and even Safari seems slow. I don't have a ton of apps open either, just WoW and Safari usually. Anyone know what could be wrong, maybe because it's refurbished?

2. jonnyblobby macrumors member

jonnyblobby

possibly new patch?

what version of wow are you running? and what quality level? since updating to the latest patch 3.1.1 i have been getting the same thing happening even when running at fair/good quality setting

3. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

My settings are all medium to low. I'm running 3.1.1, but I haven't got to play around with it enough pre-3.1.1 to know how it should run.

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

5. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone think overheating could be a reason? My computer is always pretty hot when it starts to lag.

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I think what looks like lag could be overheated graphics--I have had that problem off and on since I got my iMac over a year ago. I am going to try the SMC fan control to see if that helps. But I do notice some jerky movement before the graphics freezes.

I know there are a million threads on frozen graphics but one thing I do notice is that my fans do ramp up when the CPU is stressed but not when graphics are stressed. WOW is the only thing that causes my iMac to freeze.

7. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i havent played WoW in some time now (about 2 months) but when i did on my imac it was some times really smooth, and other times laggy, and this wasnt because of moving from one large area to smaller ones. i dont understand why it does that. after buying my alu mbp the same things happen as well, although their is not such a big difference ie 60ish fps to 40ish fps (btw all of these are running on high everything, imac is only on 1280x1024 though).

i just restart the computer each time a wanted to play WoW, always sorted it out so i dont know if it was a program that i was running, or the secondary monitor or w/e.

8. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like the exact same thing that's happening to me. I wonder if I installed WoW on my Windows partition? When I'm lagging I literally watch my FPS go from 15 to 45 to 15 and just keep doing that.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It should be OK, I play WOW on my previous gen MB with Safari and other things open and its fine, but I dunno about Frames per second.

Maybe its worth up-ing the RAM to 4GB.

12. iHeartOiSkanks macrumors newbie

iHeartOiSkanks

i was reading what u guys said

I dont play wow but i play the frozen throne, i play dota. this only happens when i play online but when i do its usually laggy and half the time i get dropped or the game freezezs. if i do get thru a game i cant join another its says "another application is a using a needed game port." idk if its my mac that needs an upgrade or something. can anyone help?

i got Macbook pro 2.5GHz 2 GB