Somethings wrong

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RJS9S, Dec 29, 2007.

1. RJS9S macrumors member

Hi guys I have had a mac pro for some time now and have been dealing with the internet being extremly slow, no other computers in this house are slow on the internet (neither was the one before this). please note this is my first mac and the only mac in the house... im really confused as to what i should do? the main problime is loading pages, images, video etc... it will take forever to lod if it ever does. Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How is your network set up? Have you checked to see that you have the correct DNS settings provided by your ISP?

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. RJS9S thread starter macrumors member

I really couldnt tell you, i know nothing about internet. how would i check on the DNS settings?

EDIT-
    Im using Safari, but I have tried firefox and opera (which both wound up being worse)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The DNS settings can be checked in the Network pane of System Preferences. Your ISP hopefully have given you a configuration sheet with their preferred values.

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Wired or wireless?

There must be something wrong with settings somewhere. Macs should not be much slower in internet browsing.

7. RJS9S thread starter macrumors member

I checked with my dad and he said we never got any papers from the ISP. In my Network settings the only thing i see about DNS is right below Router there's DNS servers, but the box is empty and it says (optional). It is wired internet and i was hoping its not just mac's and some kind of setting I have to tweak. Also I have charter Internet if that helps at all with the DNS thing. Thanks guys.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I can't find anything specific at their site regarding possible DNS servers, so what is listed in the equivalent spot on other computers on the network?

9. RJS9S thread starter macrumors member

I just got the DNS number from charter and it seems to be doing a little better. The only place I seem to have this problime is on Myspace.com which is where i show off my companys videos etc.. does anybody else have this problime? thanks alot everyone.

10. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

myspace is pretty slow, it gets a lot of traffic, i know several users that find it slow going, don't worry about it ;)

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I find myspace very very slow too.

If you're still running Safari 2 in Tiger, then MySpace will be very slow. Upgrade to Safari 3 :)

12. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

If your on Tiger, you can get Safari 3 by running the 10.4.11 update.

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

I use Charter at home -- it's always worked very well for me. Internet is very fast on my Mac Pro. I mostly use Firefox on my Mac Pro, Safari on my MacBook Pro. Never been an issue for me...when I put these machines into service, all I did was plug them in and turn them on after activating the Airport Extreme. The only choice I recall having to make was "DHCP".

You say there are other computers in the house...what kind of router are you using? Your routers settings might have something do do with it too.

14. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

The macpros have had problems with the interweb thing.

A lot of units seem to have problems with the transfer speeds. You can search this forum or apples to get some hints about the problem.

My MP speed is about 50% slower compared to my iBook and 100% slower than my PC. All of them connected to the same routers...

I personally have gotten by with so slow transfer speeds because I dont need it that much and because of the work schedules havent been able to part with the machine for 2 weeks of repairs.

So,your if you have a faulty unit,take it back to the store or bite the bullet.