Sometimes Apple makes the dumbest moves...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Jun 8, 2009.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Like remove the ExpressCard slot on the 15" inch MBP.

Good thing I got the Unibody MBP when it came out :D

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

As Phil said, less than 1% of all MBP users actually used that slot, so it makes sense really... why keep something nobody has a use for.

3. snouter macrumors 6502a

no 1680x1050 option on the 15" is just like one big dumbest move dragged out for like 10 years...

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I wonder how they know who or how many uses it.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

How would they know who uses it and who doesn't? That's just stupid. ExpressCard should be standard in all laptops.

SD card...really? What if the person uses a Sony camera which has MemoryStick? They have to use a USB to Memory stick adapter. They could have included an ExpressCard multi card reader that doesn't pop out. Much better, imo.

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The only thing I don't understand is no CF slot. The high end canon cameras are still CF only.

IF they are going to include one slot why not both?

7. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Crash reports send hardware info in

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

From ALL users??? That's impossible. Maybe out of 1,000 users, but not all. I'd rather have an ExpressCard slot where I can put in an eSATA card, or a higher end sound card.

Couldn't they add the ExpressCard slot next to the DVD drive?

9. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

It does seem a little shortsighted even if it isn't used all that much simply because with an Expresscard 34 slot you can add any external device you want. It gives the notebook that much more flexibility. Still Apple have always made controversial decisions. (It is still retained in the 17" MBP though).

The addition of the SD card is nice, but frankly isn't that essential. I just plug my camera in directly via its USB cable.

Still overall I think it is a good update.

10. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

It makes sense though. I've never used that slot and I don't know anyone who has.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Open one up, find the room, I dare you... :p

12. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I know at least 4 designers and editors who use it. They use an external eSATA drive to edit off of. I do the same.

Take a chill pill. I haven't opened it and I don't plan to open it unless warranty runs out.

As a side note, the removal of FW400 is understandable. You can just use an adapter or FW400 to 800 cable to make it work.

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I was joking, I guess a ":p" in there would've worked better.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's Sony's (and the user's) own fault for buying a piece of equipment that uses some proprietary device when SD is by far the most popular. If you have a Sony camera, buy a Sony computer, connect the camera via USB cable or buy a dad burn $10 card reader.

I have had a MacBook Pro for two years. I have never used my ExpressCard slot. Yes, I would have loved to see a combo SD/CF reader, but that's what USB is for. I can do just like I said above and buy a cheap card reader or use a USB cable. Most people downloading photos with a CF card aren't doing it away from a desk (read: big-time photographers), so the addition of an SD reader was a smart move.

15. Mezzanine224 macrumors member

Want to know who uses the Express card slot in a Mac Book Pro?

Professionals.

Pro video, Pro audio, & Pro graphics can easily make use of that slot. Get a group of 20 working professionals in those fields and ask them if they use it or at least like having the OPTION to use it. A high speed expansion slot is highly desirable for Pros. Now ask that same batch of professionals how desirable an SD slot is. Answer: it's not. USB & Firewire don't always cut it when you're working in HD video, and high resolution graphics.

A PRO laptop should have more ability to expand than less. Apple has just made a real bonehead move by eliminating the express slot in the 15" lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see its return if Apple hears enough complaints.

16. RyanJL macrumors newbie

If I were a professional and used my laptop for lots of photo and video editing, I'd get a 17", even if all the I/O's were the same.

Just saying.

I AM a professional... well, was a professional--a midlife career change has me going back to school for a JD--and the only thing I ever used the PC card slot on my 4 year old Powerbook G4 was for... a SD card reader.

You know anything about statistics? Specifically, marketing demographic statistics?

If you did, you would know that they don't need input from everyone to have a pretty good idea about their behaviors. Statistically speaking, 32 is the magic number. As in, if you get a perfectly random sampling of 32, you can make pretty accurate predictions on how the whole pool behaves, no matter how big it is. However, the samples are seldom, if ever, perfectly random, so larger test samples are the norm. A thousand points of data would be a pretty good sampling.

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

The minority's voice makes up for the majority's.

More people would use an SD slot than the Expresscard slot. It only makes sense.

18. Mezzanine224 macrumors member

Yes, the 17" is an option. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it's a little big. I'm one of those audio/video professionals who has a nice desktop rig where I do 90% of my work. A 15" MPB w/ an express slot would do nicely for that other 10%.

Which is why I'm going to buy the previous generation MPB that has the express slot.

I guess I decided to get a MPB at the right time, while I can still find a new/in-store machine and not have to hunt the classifieds for a used one. If I had come to this decision a few weeks from now and couldn't find a new machine with the slot, I'd probably just decide not to buy one at all.

19. Mezzanine224 macrumors member

Of course. And the majority of people will probably buy the 13" MBP, or the entry level 15". It doesn't seem absurd to me that Apple could eliminate the Express slot in those two models, and keep it in the upper level 15" and 17" for those of us who would use it.

20. RyanJL macrumors newbie

This is being pulled totally out of my butt here, but I'm betting it has a lot to do with Apple just wanting to use one enclosure for all 13" MBPs, one enclosure for all 15" MBPs, and one enclosure for all 17" MBPs.

If I had to guess, I would say the sales numbers are going to lean very heavily on the bottom end of the 15" lineup. Making a different unibody enclosure for a PC card slot that'll only be selected by a small percent of purchasers would make it cost a whole heckofalot more.

21. lyl macrumors member

It was a stupid move
    why SD card slot?
    expresscard slot is more useful and expandable
    not all people want to carry a 17" out

22. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

express slot with SD adapter makes more sense.

23. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

.... and not all MBP users are professionals carrying different I/O equipment, HD's, cameras, portable raid arrays, audio processors etc. etc....

Honestly think about it for a second, Apple has been making this shift to be more tailored to the "consumer" because that's where their market is.

Many consumers only use a point and shoot camera which uses a SD card, a lot of consumer video cameras are using AVCHD which is stored on a SD card.

Putting a built in SD card slot pretty much eliminates all issues for the end user when they want to get their photos or video off of their devices.

From a end users perspective, think about the steps to get photos from a camera into the computer. first they have to get their 3 foot USB cable, then connect the camera to the computer, but wait.... what if the cameras battery is dead? then you have to find a power outlet and connect the AC adapter to the camera. Though you could use a express card reader, its just another device that you would need to carry with you just to get pictures off of your camera and the fact that they would have to do some searching just to find out if a certain express card reader even worked in OSX. It's easier for the average consumer just to have that slot built in.

Now I feel for the DSLR users who use CF, but then again that's the way Apple is changing it's product line, by tailoring to the consumer. This shift was even apparent when they first released the unibodies, now it's heading even more in that direction. If Apple really cared about it's professional crowd, then we would see a 17" notebook with workstation graphics, at least 2 HD's and a plethora of ports including eSata.

If Apple tailored to everyone and gave them whatever ports they wanted eSata, CF,and MS in a 13" package, we would be have a big clunky notebook much like our PC counterparts.

24. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

At some point they would have to add over a dozen card readers just to make everyone happy. And that will affects the aesthetics at some point, which I'd guess that Ive's would object to. Not to mention the cost/benefit ratio, which is why the ExpressCards disappeared off the 15" models to begin with. (Edit: It could also have to do with the new internal battery, there may not have been enough room in the 15" uMBP for both the new battery and the ExpressCard slot hardware.)

I will say that SDHC is fairly ubiquitous right now, though that will obviously change over time as technology marches on. SDHC is what most people will need; Canon's consumer XS/XSi/T1i cameras use it, Nikon's consumer D5000/D40/D40x/D60/D90 cameras use it, so do many (if not most) P&S camera models.

Sony is a separate case, they march to their own drummer; in their case a USB-only option is to be expected. Sony has a long history of developing proprietary solutions that never catch on; and even when they do this is the same company that foisted their bastardized, unpowered 4-pin version of FireWire on millions Windows laptops that make them incompatible with hundreds of quality 1394a/1394b/FireWire devices.

Anyway as an owner of a CF-based 50D, this doesn't really bother me; I already bought a SanDisk FW-based CF card reader. I know that SDHC is probably the most popular flash disk format, and I'm just glad to have a better option than USB. I know this is a tough call for some, but if I was doing mobile pro work on a laptop I'd probably already be on a 17" uMBP anyway, if just to get the matte screen. Esp. now, with the $300 price drop.

As always, YMMV.

25. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

eSATA is pretty much a standard in the industry. There is nothing faster out there right now as far as external connections go. People are limited to the MUCH proprietary FW800, which is probably most famously backed by Apple.

Sure you shouldn't need to support CF, it's pretty archaic...but Apple could have kept the ExpressCard slot, added a good looking SD adapter and an eSATA adapter (or at least as an option). They are probably saving money like this, or by my guess, they're not. They just chose not to use the pins found on the laptop motherboard.