Sometimes Hot off the Charger?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GrumpyMom, May 3, 2015.

1. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Since I got my 38 mm SS Sport Black Band watch on the 24th I've had about three times when I removed it from the charger and it was very hot to the touch. Usually it's just slightly warm. There are no other problems with it, everything works reliably and fit and finish are flawless. I usually charge it at bedtime when it's usually around 35%. A couple of times I topped it off during the day after I've been working outside and came in to take a shower. One of the instances of hot watch was after an overnight charge and the other was after a short-top off. I know there was a third time but can't remember the situation.

I've not had any problems with the watch except once when I inexplicably lost my friends/contacts and had to unpair and re-pair the watch to my phone. I can't remember if that was after a hot charge.

What causes the watch to get hot during charges? Am I doing something wrong? I charge it by placing it on the C-shaped holder and setting it down sideways into the indentation in the box it came packaged in. I snap the charger to the back and leave it overnight. I've seen pictures of other forum members doing the same.

I didn't think to ask about this before because there were no other malfunctions and I'm not the type to fret or question until something really obviously goes wrong and I can't work out a remedy. But since my husband's watch arrived he's not had an instance of this so my concern is piqued a bit. I did a quick forum search and the only other mention seems associated with a malfunction.

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

It should be fine if you haven't noticed any other abnormalities, especially those centered around the battery.

If you start noticing drops in battery life and other wonky things (like it turning off randomly, maybe even being unresponsive when you try to work with it) then a concern should be raised.

Don't forgot that the battery is sealed between components in a watertight case, and that inductive charging is being used so you'll get an additional loss of energy in heat that is being transferred to other pieces of the casing.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Inductive (wireless) charging is much less efficient than wired charging. Less efficiency means more waisted energy (heat).

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Normal. Wireless charging will create some heat. If it's getting warm, that's normal. If it's getting HOT, that's something else.

5. xPad macrumors regular

It's supposed to get warm during charging.

6. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Oh, well the back of the watch did get really hot (almost painful to touch) one of those three times, and the other two times it was warmer than normal, enough to notice, but not alarmingly so. Those times it cooled quickly after removal from the charging puck.

Next time it overheats to painful hotness, if it happens again, I'll take more careful notice of other circumstances and take it to a genius appointment. I should have taken more note of it those other times but I was rushing through my routine at the time.

The time it was painfully hot I did check it over and it seemed fine so I shrugged it off, threw it on as soon as if cooled, and hurried on to my errands. However that could have been the day I lost my contacts. I did not notice my contacts were gone until I saw someone else post about losing there's and so I checked mine, and sure enough the names remained but pictures and ability to connect were gone.

Thank you all for the responses.

7. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

Sometimes if you discover more energy is being wasted as heat (it is not actually charging) just give it a re-spring by holding down the two buttons until the logo appears. Works for me.

8. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Okay. Thanks so much!

9. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

No problem!

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OP, you may also want to make sure the watch is connected to the charger correctly. In my experience it's very easy for it to move off the charger if not seated on a flat surface, which causes it to get warmer. It happened to me one of the first days with the watch.

11. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I think you're right and that's what happened to me. There's been a couple of times I've checked and noticed the puck was slipping. I'm going to invest in a better watch stand.

12. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

It should get slightly warm whilst it is actively charging up. So if, for example, you workout and then take a shower and charge during your shower then when you pick it up after it'll probably be slightly warm because it has been actively charging.

However, in the morning when you pick it off the charger it has done the bulk of charging early on in the night during the first couple of hours. When you pick it up in the morning it shouldn't have been doing much charging for a long time (just slight trickles as it maintains close to 100%) and so should be quite cool.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

This was my experience, as well. I gave it a quick recharge yesterday evening as it drained a bit faster than most other days (I must have been using it more), and noticed it was warm to the touch after an hour. This morning after a full night it was cool to the touch.