Resolved Sometimes its the simplest solution-G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tomyg, Aug 15, 2014.

1. tomyg macrumors newbie

Hi, having gratefully received lots of support from this forum for my G5 Quad and the problems I was having getting my Mac monitor to display, the problem and solution was so simple yet unforeseen for so long, I thought it might be of interest to others.

Plenty of people had reasonably suggested the blame might lie with the graphics card, or a dodgy port, faulty monitor even problems with the cooling system but it turned out to be none of these.

Each time I'd opened the G5, cleaned the contacts and reseated the Nvidia PCI express graphics card, everything worked fine. I neatly put everything back together and carefully pushed the G5 below my desk, thinking all was well. Next time I switched on....no signal.

This went on and on and on.

Eventually I noticed that one of the blanking plates directly above the graphics card wasn't secured with its tiny screw fixing to the frame but was merely resting in place secured only in its slot.

When the G5 case was opened and the side panel and baffler removed everything worked fine but when I closed it up complete, the extra tension created in the case being tied together was just enough to move the metal blanking plate slightly out of position, leaving it resting ever so slightly on the graphics card below.

This very discrete action clearly affected the card which then failed to work.

When I opened the case again the blanking plate returned a fraction of a millimeter to its original position and of course everything worked.

Since making sure everything is fully tightened and screwed into the place the G5 works like a dream.

I so easily could have run off and bought new cards, cables and converters so a lesson learnt I think.
    Check the absolute basics first, you might just save yourself a lot of time and money.
    Thanks again though to everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am glad you found the problem. I hate having such a basic problem I overlook something.

3. tomyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I was both kicking myself and elated when I realised what the problem was!

4. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

Having restored a PowerMac G5 myself, and building myself a proper "Hackintosh", I can certainly say that there are a million tiny things that can go wrong, and above all, patience is necessary. Jumping to conclusions and/or taking the easy route can end up being fairly expensive.

5. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

There really is very little tolerance in some of these things, I think they were either assembled by really accurate robots, or really tiny Chinese children.