Sometimes my Macbook howls like a wolf

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by forcefieldkid, Apr 12, 2010.

1. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Hey guys, this is really confusing me now.

Every now and again, and regardless of which programs I have running, my 2006 Black Macbook running 10.5.8 will suddenly put out the sound of a wolf howling, like they do at the moon and all that. Even rarer it will make the sound of a bird.. I forget the name of it, the ones that are up at sunrise.

This doesnt seem to signal anything, and I've checked preferences and cant see what it could be. I thought it might be when growl is running with Adium (growl, wolf.. you get it) but looking at the options in that, I dont see anything there either.

Anyone know what this is? Its too rare to be annoying, but definitely perplexing.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What widgets do you have running on your dashboard?

3. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

Calendar, Weather, Currency Converter, Language Translator, iStat and some silly virtual pet (flappie, I think it was called, I got bored one day). I see what you'd pick up, but I've hit dashboard when the sound plays and there's no visible alert coming from that.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

5. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I wonder if they bothered to look up "flapper" in the dictionary before choosing the name. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, developing a Dashboard widget that makes sounds of its own accord is even more unforgivable than doing the same on websites.