Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Every once in a while, when I turn on my machine, I am presented with a default blue wallpaper-less desktop.

I have set up the properties to show a series of JPEG images, randomly selected, and the desktop will change every hour. When I go into the settings, they are always set properly. So it's not that the settings itself have changed, when this happens.

Anyone else with this problem? Is there a solution?

--Erwin

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This can happen if you have FileVault turned on, and the FileVault happens to mount after Mac OS X tries to load your desktop, can't find the image to use, and gives up - using the default blue instead.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
This can happen if you have FileVault turned on, and the FileVault happens to mount after Mac OS X tries to load your desktop, can't find the image to use, and gives up - using the default blue instead.

Thanks. I wonder if Filevault is turned on by default... I'm going to check this out when I'm home. Let's hope it'll bring the solution :)

But, eh... Am I the only one with this problem? There's not much feedback. :confused:

--Erwin

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Okay, I just checked and it seems FileVault is not turned on... Unfortunately. :( What could possibly cause this strange wallpaper behavior?

--Erwin

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Okay, I just checked and it seems FileVault is not turned on... Unfortunately. :( What could possibly cause this strange wallpaper behavior?

--Erwin
The next thing to try is to make sure the desktop manager can actually find the image you're trying to use. To check this, look in System Preferences, in the Desktop pane, and see if the right image is selected.

spidermanisart

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2008
Same happened to me when I woke up my Mac from sleep. FileVault is turned off and the right image is selected. I even tried selecting the default wallpapers and nothing is showing up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.