Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Hey all thought I'd post this as a reminder of what forgetting things can do and also to ask for opinions on how I should resolve the affected system. Yesterday my Dad packed up his Pismo to take to a meeting in CO, when my mom got home she had him unpack his car and pack her's. He moved everything to the back put all the big bags in and as he was putting the small ones in had to come in to get somethng else and left the PB sitting behind the car!! Well you guessed it he backed over the poor little guy!! Amazingly the book appears to be running fine, except the screen is 30% clouded from crushed pixels. Now my question is I can get a replacement screen for 299 and try to install it myself(I'm pretty competent with electronics but never done this before), I could pay a company to do it around 375-400, or lastly tell him to junk the old beast and pick up a 900 MHz ibook G3 for $994 so he could save his airport card and 512mb ram chip. I realize the G3 ibooks are 2nd tier models now and a G4 would be better, but the cost would skyrocket as he'd need a new AX card and a new stick of pc 2100 ram so thats out of the question.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
junk it, get a new G3 ibook...

if pismo suited him ok, then ibook, even with a G3, will be a great upgrade.

btw, g3 ibook is $800 for 800 mhz/30gb/cd-rom and $900 for 900 mhz/40gb/combo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.