Sometimes when iMac returns from sleep, no WiFi

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Aug 30, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Has anyone experienced this themselves? It seems to happen randomly, where when I wake my iMac from sleep (running Lion .1), it won't be connected to the internet. I know my router is working because my Air and my cell phone can use WiFi. The odd thing is, I have to either wait a while, or use the internet on my Air before the iMac will start having access to the internet.

What the heck is going on? Anybody else?

2. wpotere Guest

Tis a Lion issue... You will have to wait until Apple fixes it. A simple search of the forum would have turned up numerous complaints.

3. Beach Guy macrumors member

This happens on my imac too. I have not upgraded to Lion yet...still using SL.

4. wpotere Guest

It shouldn't... Snow Leopard didn't have this issue, so you may have a hardware problem or OS issue. Have you tried to backup and reinstall the OS to see if you can fix the issue? Lion has a known problem with this which affected my MB as well, but on SL it was fine. I went back to SL and it is fine.

5. Beach Guy macrumors member

I have my imac plugged directly into my router, and this happens sporadically. after 5 to 8 seconds it connects and then everything is fine. it seemed to be happening less and less, but i turned off my computer and unplugged it due to the hurricane...now it still happens every once in a while.

Thanks for any advice...this forum has been tremendously helpful, and i enjoy reading it daily!

6. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Another slight inconvenience that bothers me is that the mouse sometimes takes a while to configure to the right track and scroll speeds that I have set up. This is especially true after a boot up (in the rare times I need to restart, whatever). The mouse and the scrolling speeds are insanely slow, until upwards of a minute, when the configs kick in and it's back to the normal speed. This can happen from sleep as well, I noticed, but less frequent than the internet slowly coming back.

Both issues are a tad annoying.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

When it's had the WiFi issues, did you happen to have a USB drive connected OR a disc in the disc drive? I've had this only occur to me on Lion when I've had DVDs still in the disc drive when I've put the computer to sleep. Some users on Apple's discussion board insist it also happens from time to time with USB hard drives.

8. wpotere Guest

I had so many issues with Lion (even after a clean install) that I went back to SL for now. I remember when they had teething pains with SL back when it came out, but to me there are a lot more with Lion. In my opinion, they rushed it out.

9. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

No USB drives connected nor disc in the optical drive. =T

This isn't directed at you: Even if these things were connected, it's no excuse for Lion.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Definitely not, it should have gone through way more testing. The weirdest thing I'm finding with Lion is that a lot of the issues will go away for a little while and then will come back twice as bad, and then suddenly disappear again.

11. APtalent macrumors regular

Happened to me in SL even after several reformats. The issue still remains with Lion, it's not that big of a big deal but sometimes you forget and get a 404 error when refreshing.

12. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem, but mine was connected through ethernet through Airport Extreme. I do have lion installed and did do a clean install. After wakeup, it would take around 10 seconds before it would let me connect to the internet. I also have Windows 7 through bootcamp. I tried putting that to sleep (screen,hdd, etc) and guess what, it worked right away. That ruled out a hardware problem. I have a new Thunderbolt 27 inch iMac, by the way. I am not sure if it is a Lion problem or not. My wife has a 2008 24inch iMac, and has similar problems coming out of sleep, and she has Snow Leopard installed. Hers will connect to the internet within 5 seconds, though.

I am starting to if it is an Airport Extreme problem. When I have a chance, I am going to connect the modem directly to the iMac and see if it does the same thing. If it does, it is definitely and Apple software problem, (remember Windows 7 works fine out of sleep mode)

I will let you know after testing some more

13. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

The same thing happens on my iMac but, the internet is back after 6 seconds. Wait about 5-10 seconds then try to connect again.

14. darster Suspended

I solved the problem by setting the monitor to go to sleep after a certain amount of time, but the computer set to never.

15. g-boac macrumors 6502

Good morning! I'm having the exact same problems listed here, using a 27" iMac (2011/Thunderbolt), running Lion 10.7.1, and the problem occurs whether I'm connecting via AirPort/WiFi or Ethernet. This problem also occurs whether I'm using a new 3TB Time Capsule, or a first-generation 500GB Time Capsule.

It will typically take anywhere near 5-10 seconds after waking up from sleep before an internet connection sets up; however in some cases, it can take about a minute. The latter seems to happen any time when a Time Machine backup is interrupted by the computer going to sleep (e.g., the computer is in the middle of a backup, and I am leaving home for whatever reason).

I've also noticed that the computer's clock seems to freeze while the machine is asleep - when I wake it up, it will show the time that it was when the iMac went to sleep, and will not update to the new time until it re-establishes its network connection.

I agree that there certainly seem to be a lot more teething issues present with Lion, in addition to its loss of core workflow functionality (expose and spaces) that has been present in over half a decade of Mac OS X releases. Overall a disappointment, and I too am considering a revert to Snow Leopard.

If anyone finds a solution to the problem of not being able to connect to the network after sleep - whether Ethernet or Wi-Fi - I would appreciate any insight you gain or anything you may learn.

cheers,
    Mark

----------

Unfortunately, that is not an acceptable solution - and my comment is directed at Apple, not you darster. While you've found a workaround that works for you - and I commend your creativity - clearly that doesn't work for a laptop, or even an iMac, as the end result is the computer is still running, active, and drawing power - even when I'm not home. Given the premium paid for Apple hardware, isn't acceptable product functionality.

regards,
    Mark