Sometimes you have to really love Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ccrew, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Have an older 15" MBP, last of the non-unibodies that I handed down to my son. Will be 4 years old in February.

Suffered the dreaded NVidia logic board failure yesterday, so figured what the heck, I'd make a genius bar appointment this evening and at the worst all they could say was "sucks to be you"

Now it's in for replacement of the logic board with a work authorization for $492.41 with a total cost to me of $0. Recall or not, I can't think of another computer manufacturer that will do $500 worth of repairs on a 4 year old computer for free.

2. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

I am sure Nvidia is paying a Hefty sum for the faulty chips! And the limit is 4 tears anyway but knowing apple I am sure they'd do it anyways! How olds your son? I thought he was 4 years old!

3. Ccrew thread starter macrumors 68020

Must be thinking of someone different :) My kids are Girl 22yo, Boy 20yo and Girl 19yo.

No way would I survive a 4 year old!

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

hehe, look at your OP. it almost looks like you said you gave the computer to a 4 year old. That's how I read it the first time, now i know it's the computer that's 4.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Seems like you've already survived 3 of them ;)

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, I agree that it's probably more than any other manufacturer would do. I still find it laughable that they sell faulty hardware for more than $3000 (that's what my MBP did cost in 2008), and instead of making a factory recall and fixing it, they tell you to wait until it breaks.

Even worse, when it finally breaks, they replace it with the same faulty hardware...

And I bet many people just throw away their broken 2008 models, because they don't know about the extended warranty.

Maybe after 7 years we will get replacements... like with the iPod nano :D I'm keeping my machine!

7. cole01 macrumors 6502

Haha funny that you post about this. I just had the same model MacBook pro's logic board replaced. Because of this recall program I didn't have to pay a dime. I was accepting and willing to pay for an expensive repair as I really like the computer for nostalgic's sake even though I've moved onto my more powerful unibody. I must say though, it's withstood the test of time and still runs 10.6 very smoothly.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Sometimes you have to love apple?
    You mean you always have to love Apple! :D

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple replaced by fault Early 2008 MacBook Pro with a new one after one repair.

10. Mark-Technology macrumors regular

You always should love Apple! :)

My 5 day old Macbook Pro was facing casual problems like beach balling which was my fault, but I decided to go to Apple and they didn't even check the system-just gave me a new one. All I told them was the problems I was facing and they said that since you bought it not nearly long ago, they'll give me a new one.

I was so delighted. :)

Mark

11. yousifabdullah, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

yousifabdullah macrumors regular

I had an even better experience :D

I'm typing this message on my MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2008), the first unibody MacBook Pro. During its lifespan of 3 years, it underwent three hardware repairs (two logic board replacements and one battery replacement). After a newly confirmed issue with the screen and calling AppleCare, I was transferred to Apple Customer Relations where I was told that I'm eligible for a replacement. :eek:

Apple was even kind enough to upgrade me to the hi-res antiglare display for no extra cost. In essence, I'm being upgraded from the first unibody MacBook Pro to the very latest offering, a standard configuration MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2011). Just waiting for the order confirmation to pop up in my inbox... Sometimes you have to really love Apple, I agree. :)