Somewhat complicated AT&T account situation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by notjustgc, Oct 12, 2011.

1. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Alright, so here's where I stand. I'll just lay it out in bullets. I think I've got it figured out, but I need some reassurance here. It's a lot to read, I know, but please, if anyone's dealt with a similar circumstance, give me any input you might have. Thanks :D

My current situation:
    • My wife and I got married a few weeks ago. Definitely time for our own plan. I was on my parents' AT&T FamilyTalk plan, and she is on a Verizon individual plan.
    • I preordered my iPhone 4S for my line last Friday.
    • Today, I successfully transferred billing responsibility OUT of my parents' family plan and into my new plan.
    • Everything shows up fine on my account for my line. It's an individual plan with only my line in the account now. I'll activate my new 4S when it arrives on Friday. Not expecting an issue here.

I know it would have been cheaper to add her to the family plan, but my parents are already maxed out on lines. That's a non-option. And yes, I thought long and hard (and looked at all my past usage) before doing the transfer, because it DID strip me of my precious grandfathered unlimited data. :(

Now here's what I intend to do going forward:
    • Stand in line at the Apple Store in the wee hours of the morning on Friday.
    • Buy her 4S as a NEW individual line on AT&T and port her number to it.
    • Add her line to my AT&T account -- so now my account will house two individual lines.
    • Lastly, merge the two lines into one new FamilyTalk plan.

Based on everything I've read, this really seems to be the best way of doing things -- but, of course, this stuff is never totally cut-and-dry.

So -- does anyone have (A) experience doing something like this, or (B) a particular reason why this should not work?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Only thing I would skip is porting her number at the time you buy the phone. Do that later, when you merge the lines into Family Plan. One less thing to hang up the process on an incredibly busy day.

3. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

yes it will work, but to save $10 bucks on activation fees ($36 for individual vs $26 for a secondary) change your line to a family plan primary and then add her as a secondary. This is mute if you have a FAN acct that has activation fees waived

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Pray you have some sort of credit history or they may require a deposit.

5. notjustgc thread starter macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Thankfully, I had the good sense to start building my credit early on in my college years -- and I somehow managed to avoid screwing it up the whole time. I got 0% for 60 months on my first new car! :D

6. notjustgc thread starter macrumors 6502

notjustgc

My understanding is that I can't change to a family plan without meeting the minimum requirements for FamilyTalk, which includes a minimum of 2 lines. So I'd have to wait until her line was active on my account before I'd be able to do that. No?

Besides, most of these sorts of fees can be pretty easily waived if you ask.