Somewhat Complicated

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by roland.g, Jun 22, 2015.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Just got an Apple Watch. Like it so far. I went for a very simple look, I think it is the Utility face, with the hash marks, white hands, red seconds hand and I have turned off all the complications except for the weather, which I placed upper right. I would prefer that it looks like a nice watch and not an overload of info when I look at it, but I still want access to info through notifications and glances, etc.

My question if anyone can help me, is that I have seen that complication that puts your next calendar event across the bottom of a watch face. If you turn that off, and have alerts set up, is that where a calendar event will show up when an alert goes off. Ideally, I would like that area blank, and then if an alert is set for 15 minutes prior or something, you get the haptic and pull down notifications but it also shows up in the complication only during the alert window.

Like this, with the one showing the complication only showing when the reminder/alert goes off. I thought an Apple employee told me that's how it could be set up but they are often wrong about real world usage.

IMG_3268.PNG IMG_3269.PNG

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It'd be nice to have that blank when you have no events, but currently it'll show no event if you have that complication and have no events.

You should shoot a feedback to Apple regarding this.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I certainly don't like the NO EVENTS that I have seen in demos. But more, I don't really need to see an event that is hours away. I just want to see the reminder. If that means just the notifications, and completely disabling the 'complication' then I will do that. But it would be nice to get an option for calendar complications to only show during the alert window.

I can't figure out how to get text messages and new mail to show up as a notification / give me a haptic buzz. Some of my texts have but some haven't and none of my mail does. Not sure if that is related to the fact that I don't get mail notifications on my iPhone.

4. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I never really thought of that but now that you've planted the seed, I would love to have it work like that. However, there's no way to accomplish this right now. It's either there all the time, or not at all. Personally, I just have the alert set-up right now.

It's probably partially related. If you have it set up to not receive mail notifications on your phone, by default your Apple Watch will choose to mirror your iPhone notification set-up. You can go into the Apple Watch app, Notifications, Mail and choose 'Custom', which would allow you to set up mail alerts on your watch independently of your phone (I'm doing this with Reminders and Calendar alerts right now.)

As for getting some notifications of texts but not all, I may have an answer. When you phone is unlocked, you do not receive notifications on your watch; you don't even necessarily have to have Messages opened for this to happen. I could just be on my home screen and my watch will not notify me when I receive a text, email or anything. Not sure if this is the cause for you, just voicing a possibility.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Maybe Apple will give us more choices in the coming months when the update their watch OS. But then maybe not.