Somewhat different Mac Pro Q's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rockinrocker, Jul 23, 2007.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Hi folks,

I'm planning on upgrading to a Mac Pro sometime later this year (probably after 10.5, and hopefully a hardware refresh, though I don't wanna get into a debate about if/when that's going to happen ;)). I'll be using it for a home studio. I'll be running Cubase 4, Reason 3 and Native Instruments Komplete 4. I use lots of VST's and effects/tracks 'n junk, so I'll need some 'umph.

I'm thinking I'll go with the base config. more or less across the board (not sure if I'll go for the octopus or not, gonna wait till Cubase 4.1 comes out and hear how it's working for others) and throw in another 2X2 of RAM right way, and am planning on filling 'er up with 2 gig sticks once I get the cash.

So's here my questions:

1.Could I use the 80 gig HDD that came with my Gen. 1 Macbook as my boot drive? I've seen adapter deals that you can use to mount smaller drives so I assume that's what they're for, will I need any other special cables or anything? OSX takes about 10 gigs or so, right?

2. I currently have a 500 gig SATA for my second internal on my Dell, that'll just need to be reformatted (it's NTFS now) than it'll work, right?

3.I will be needing to use XP, both for some light gaming and to run Cubase with some windows only plug-ins. I have XP 64 bit, but have seen some people say it's not a good idea, so if anyone has any actual personal experience with XP64 either under boot camp or parallels (which I also currently have) that they could share that'd be great.

4.Here's the weirdest question, I built an iso-box for my CPU (kind of like one of these, http://www.custom-consoles.com/isobox-studio.php but way cheaper) which has an intake and an out take fan that are currently daisey chained with the internal fans on my dell. anyone have any idea if I'd be able to do that with the MP? (I know the MP's pretty quiet, but if it's audible at all, it's too loud).

Thanks alot for any info, I've gotten a lot of help on this site and appreciate it alot. (Sorry for the long post).

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

1. No idea, but I don't like the idea at all. If it's like my drive in my gen1 macbook, its 4800rpm or whatever... slow... Not even sure if it's SATA. Can I ask why you want to do this?

2. Yes, that should go off without a hitch.

3. Can't address this, sorry.

4. I don't see why not, as long as it fits. The Mac Pro is dead quiet though, but there is sound from the drives. There aren't any typical "4 flat" power connectors like in a Dell or other PC, at least that I can see. Might be able to tap into the optical drive power cord. Mac Pro is pretty clean inside though, there's not a cord to be seen.

3. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Thanks for the response,

mainly 'cause i've got it. :)
    i know it probably seems silly to be booting a killen' workstation off an itty bitty drive like that, but i'm trying to save as much cheese as i can....

i basically need three (1.boot/apps 2.sample streaming- stock HDD 3.write audio files- 500 gig I've currently got).

i'm pretty sure it is SATA, but you're right, it is slower (5400 RPM i think), but how much effect is that really going to have? won't that just slow down booting up (which i'll only do every few days, if that much) and launching apps (which i'll do once a day)? if it'll save me some money initially, that's a sacrifice i'm willing to make.

i was afraid of that, i guess if i've got to i can try and power the fans some other way.....

thanks again for the input.

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I've never done what you're talking about or even seen in, but I'm not a musician... But how about tapping power from USB? You should be able to drive a few fans i suppose.

I've also heard bad things about using XP64 on the MacPros; The advice I always hear is use 32 bit anyway. Who knows with a future spec bump though.

And while I'm on the topic of XP, i'd suggest you go with parallels. Boot camp was nothing but trouble for me with missing drivers, keyboard errors, blah blah. I switched from windows because of this! It's so much more convenient to launch XP rather than shutdown OS X and restart. Just my two cents.

5. seclusion macrumors regular

seclusion

I'm a musician who just went to a Mac Pro 2.66 a month ago.
    Man this thing is sure nice.
    I have all Sata 2 Seagate drives in mine, the stalk os drive 250 gig and 2 - 320 gig drives. The only thing I can hear is the HD's running, slightly. I use it in my control room with out mic good mic's picking up the sound. I use mine with Logic Pro and needed more ram, 5 gigs now. I use EZdrummer, BFD, Waves SSL 4000 across 30 st channels, Ivory and more. I can surf, email, mix, record and bounce and my CPU floats around 25%. Will have anther 320 gig drive soon just for backups. Best Machine I've ever owned.
    I wouldn't change anything, from what I hear the os drive needs some space to swap to so I wouldn't use an 80 gig. $100 for Sata 2 500 gigs.
    :D