Somewhat Multitasking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaGreat01, Jul 9, 2009.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I didn't know that you can stream live things over safari and still use other apps and text and and all that.

Sorry if this is old news but I thought this was part of the whole multitasking problem, that you couldn't stream and use the phone. You cant stream on like the pandor app but you can stream anything online and still be able to use other apps.

The only thng you can do while streaming in safari is use safari lol.

Once agin sorry if this is old news...just thought it was really cool. I'm going to stream a lot more now, now that I can listen and still use the phone.

2. alansaysstop macrumors regular

could you be more vague on streaming? Like audio from a website? I don't normally do anything crazy on safari except check my myspace or read macrumors haha.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Don't these two things contradict themselves? The iPod app can play music in the background too. ;)

4. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Haha yea sorry. You can stream audio files. Now with the 3.0 update you no longer have to use any apps to play streams from sites. You can click directly on the http link and it will play with quick time.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

What he's talking about, is that people have discovered that Safari under 3.0 will continue to stream audio in the background if you start a stream and then hit the Home button.

Basically, as we all know, Safari continues to run if it can, and even finish downloading while "off", but now it continues to stream as well.

YouTube video demo here

To stop it, just go back to Safari and stop the stream.

6. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Thank you VERY much! Lol. That is exactly what I'm trying to say.

Sorry I started this thread on my phone and am still on my phone so I couldnt really say everything I really want to say lol. But thank you kdarling for that.

I thnk this is as much multitasking as I really want/need. :D

7. alansaysstop macrumors regular

haha check your posts before posting from your phone. You might get flamed for incorrect spelling ;)

8. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

9. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Yes this works. This also works with podcast in the iTunes app. The iPhone will only let you download podcasts under 10mb over edge/3G but you can stream all you want. The problem with streaming and doing other tasks is memory usage. If you are streaming a large audio file and try to multitask you will most likely drop the stream. However this is only a problem on iPhone 3g. The 3GS has enough ram to handle the stream and other tasks at the same time.

If you are trying to stream and do other tasks on an iphone 3G I would suggest going back to the stream every few tasks. ex= start stream, hit the home button send a few texts. open stream again , hit home button, send an email, open stream again.

If you have an iPhone 3GS, multi task all you want. It has the ram for it

10. jmccray macrumors regular

Pandora

Well can't Pandora take advantage of this?

11. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I just let it it stream and i use the phone as normal. Except using safari. And im on a 3G

12. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I always had a problem with it dropping the stream. Like the buffer was getting cut off. Perhaps I was pushing it.

13. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

No. Pandora is a 3rd Party app that shuts down after pressing the home key. Apple's Safari and iPod apps continue running in the background until they're forced to give up the RAM to the current application.

14. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Apple really should find some way for these streaming apps to run in the background. I understand the argument against background apps. But there has got to be a way......

15. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea, at least for streaming