son has just updated my jailbroken 2g through itunes

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by discod, Jun 15, 2011.

1. discod macrumors newbie

my son has just taken my lovely 2g which was looked after lovingly and updated it through itunes.It was jailbroken arrgggghhh and now of course everything is gone.All I get when I switch it on is the itunes symbol and a usb picture underneath it.I got it second hand already jailbroken with no sim.(I had it on vodaphone)Its saying insert sim but of course I dunno which network it was on.Do I buy a sim card from every network and try that or do you think it would be O2?? He thought he was being helpful *wails* please help a damsel in distress

2. Crystal-RX, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

jailbreak and unlocked it with redsn0w 0.9.4. Visit clarified.com to get the tutorial on how to do this.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

iClarified.com actually. Crystal made a typo. :D

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436

There's the tutorial! In the list on the page that says what you will need for the process, each bulleted word is hyperlinked so it will take you to a download link for the thing! For the process you will need the IPSW (available from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ ) and the rest is available from the previously mentioned links on the page. Good luck!

4. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

the 2g is very easy to jailbreak. if you need a sim to activate, just go to an at&t store and ask them for one. i use tmobile, but needed an at&t sim a few times and just asked them. they gave one to me even after i told them what i was using it for.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

My understanding is the 2G, unlike the other iPhones, requires the original SIM to activate it. The newer models simply require a sim from the same carrier. That being said, if you follow the other steps mentioned to avoid the activation then it shouldn't be a problem.

6. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

the original SIM that came with the iPhone is incorrect. The only thing that was different is you had to actually activate through iturnes (choose your phone plan, data, and text addons as well)

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

Doesn't this article mention that you need to use the last sim that had an active account? This is different than the other models.
    Of course that isn't necessary, as it is easy enough to bypass that part with a jailbreak.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It'll be on O2 mate. The 2g was exclusive to them in the uk

9. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

correct, the last SIM that activated it, still doesn't have to be the one that came with the iPhone originally (this is what I understood from your post).

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Thanks Awadee for pointing this out. I was using my phone to post it and I think it has the auto correction which created this typo.

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Again, use redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak & unlock it. It will by pass the activation through Itunes and this phone is open to use with any sim cards.