Son killed my 15in MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simple411, Sep 25, 2013.

1. simple411 macrumors newbie

I had a glass of wine next to my Late 2011 Macbook on the kitchen table. Son came over and accidentally scored a direct hit on to my keyboard. Flipped it quick powered it down took off the back and detached the battery. After a few days of drying I've cleaned it up but its dead. Some thoughts.. fix it, buy something new or wait for the next gen? I do need something in the interim for presentations if I'm going to wait. I've even looked at some PC laptops but couldn't force myself to buy something. Thinking of buying a 13in Retina move my ssd from the old to new and if the memory works old to new too. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance..

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Open the thing, clean with isopropyl alcohol and try again, iFixit has good guides on how to open Macs.

Oh, and don't blame the son, or was it his wine.;):p

3. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

You can't move your old parts into the 13in Retina. Get the non retina if you want to move parts.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Don't give up total hope. My MBP needed literally 5 weeks of drying out before it started working again.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Just quoted for emphasis.

RAM is soldered onto the mainboard on the retina, and the SSD is a blade-style à la MacBook air.

You will not be able to move your parts over if you go retina.

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Find a new son. :D

Just kidding. You've done all you can. GL.

7. BlizzardPS macrumors newbie

8. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

9. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

This is the problem with underage drinking. The fine motor skills are not yet developed enough.

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

These guys CLAIM to be able to fix most, and prices don't seem too unreal to me (silly Canadian) so might be worth a look if you have a 'repair price in mind' before you just say UPGRADE time.. Good Luck!!

http://www.dttservice.com/macbookpro.html

11. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you do decide to upgrade, you should look into taking out an insurance policy on the new notebook, which would cover accidental damage, fire, theft, etc. Consult with your car/homeowner's agency to see if you can take out a "personal items policy" on it. All you should need is the serial number of the new MBP and a copy of the receipt showing the purchase price. Otherwise, there are specific companies such as Worth Ave Group that deal specifically in insurance for notebooks, phones, and tablets. Policies are not that expensive. I pay less than $50/year through State Farm.

12. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Try Apple Store

I know this is over used but I had an issue with a 13" a friend spilled on one. We tried just having the keyboard replaced (Only had an issue with the key board) then we started to have issues with it charging. Took it to the Apple Store and they said they had a flat rate water damage fee. I beleive it was around $500 but they replaced the keyboard, motherboard, side panel, and mag safe port. Its probably best to just take it to apple even though its expensive.

13. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Are you still in the return period? Perhaps get a girl?

14. simple411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help. Trying to get the macbook fixed. In the meantime I picked up a 2013 Macbook Air. So far so good. Just have to keep my wine glass far away from my laptop. :eek:

15. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Well, your first mistake was using the laptop in the kitchen ;)

I'm guilty of that too, but I found I can reduce the chance of accidental death by perching the laptop on top of something, so that it's not in direct path of tripping liquid containers. I use something like this:

[​IMG]

Just a simple cover for cake platters. Can be found in any dollar store. Probably insufficient for tall stemware, but good enough for regular drinking glasses.