Son needs / wants iPad for school

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jsf721, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

My son has been using my iPad2 for school work. He downloaded noteability and it is helping to keep him better organized. I need my iPad and have become addicted to it! So I am trying to decide to
    1. get the iPad3 for myself and give him the iP2 but I fear a new iPad4 might be a few months away.

2. Buy a refrub iPad2 for him from Apple if they have any left?

3. Look on craigslist and but a used iP2? I would not be buying a 3G iPad2 for him so if I buy off craigslist how do I check to make sure it is not stolen? I have purchased iPhones of CL and always met the person at the verizon store or I did not buy them.

Thanks for any input........

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds like a good excuse for you to upgrade. :)

I wouldn't start worrying about the iPad4 yet. Although, you may want to see about the rumored Mini, if that interests you.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have no experience buying on Craig list, but it should be the same as buying a phone -- just do whatever you did when buying a phone, and it should be fine.

For refurbs, you need to check Apple website, it's not like anyone here has inside knowledge of how many refurb units Apple has on any given day.

So far, iPads have always been refreshed in March/April. Is that too close for you? Only you can decide.

There are, however, rumors of an iPad mini being announced sometime this month. You might want to wait and see if you or your son might like the mini better.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Buy the iPad 3 for your son, keep your iPad2 for yourself -- and then upgrade to the iPad 4 when it comes out.

5. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Buy him a paper pad and a pencil.

He doesn't "need" an iPad.

If he wants to get a job, save up and buy his own iPad, then that's another thing, and should be encouraged.

6. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Yeah, and while you're at it, make him buy his own food, and start paying rent too. These new humans come into the world so dependent on us for so many things, they're such a burden on us, we need to do what the birds do and kick them out of the nest before the end of their first summer and if they survive, great, if not, well they just didn't try hard enough.

Buy him the iPad 3, keep the iPad 2 for you then sell it when an iPad 4 comes out and buy the new one for yourself. You'll be the coolest dad to him!

7. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

ipad at school? dunno if thats a good idea tbh do many other kids have them at his school?

8. pommie82 macrumors 6502

Well i personally would wait for the next iPad there no point in going back in in technology.To be perfect and honost and truthfully with you iPad2 To the new iPad there isn't much of a jump in technology inside the device.if you were to go to jump to the next iPad there might be a big difference e.g bigger screen
    or something to be revealed.Just say the next iPad there isn't much of a change in technology then maybe look in to the buying the iPad 2 or even iPad 3 then they would of both come down in price a bit too with a bit of luck fingers crossed.But if he desperately and needs it now then just try and find your son
    a cheap one on Ebay there be plenty available when it one the new iPad available through apple just be patience i would and you find out you have a better deal in the long run.I am sure we will hear some iPad rumours january
    and there be a release in end of march first week in april time roughly.

I hope you find something soon and sort it out

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

What would the world be without snap judgments? My old high school hands out iPads as standard issue now. Kids who don't have access to technology are increasingly at a disadvantage.

10. Matt8045 macrumors regular

Technology has actually had a bigger negative impact on society than positive...but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

-posted from my iPad 3

11. R1PPER macrumors 6502

Sounds like the Perfect job for the IPAD MINI...which is a month away...xmas present...x

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Ironic that you say this and then post the message from your own iPad--but perhaps that was intentional. :)There are clearly some negatives about technology -- but overall those who have access to it have undeniable advantages over those who are ignorant of it. That can't be reversed.

Unless the HS kid in question is Amish, he'll need to be familiar with tech to be competitive. We may not like it, but that's they way it is. Also, things that may have originally been conceived of as entertainment devices (like the iPad and Android tablets and smartphones) are becoming part of how businesses operate.

13. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

No you misunderstand, food and shelter are two basic human needs that every parent should provide for their children.

An iPad isn't.

14. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ah, finally a person that doesn't have a stick up their @#$. kuddos man

15. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I think they understood you quite well, you just didn't care for their interpretation.

16. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I used a newton all through High School. It was very helpful for me. Sure at that time it was gimmicky because others had paper daytimers, but being gimicky worked for me because it encouraged me to use it. Learned to program basic on it, learned about databases and actually how to keep a proper calendar. I do remember that taking notes on it was a pain, but that was the technology of the time.

As someone pointed out, is it needed? Of course not. BUT, if it is a tool that can help the child succeed then why knock it? Its like, you can do calculus with a slide rule still, but isnt a graphic calculator better?

17. Tartarus macrumors member

Heres a tip: if you want him to use his ipad for school, buy him a used iPad 1st gen off ebay, i can personally attest that it can handle notability as good as an ipad 2. and you only have to spend $1-200 tops.
    sure it cant run iOS 6, but i got my iPad 1 cheap, and for safari, videos, some games, and HEAVY note taking, it is the perfect ipad for school. Also, i suggest looking into the app called "iStudiez pro" it is the best planner i have ever used on an iPad, and the best part is that the iphone app stays in sync with the ipad app.
    if he wants an ipad 2 or 3, make him buy it himself, my parents have never bought me anything technology since my gameboy color, and i thank my parents all the time for it, because i have learned the discipline of saving up money for something that you want, it also makes you think to yourself "do i REALLY need this?"
    and in case you were wondering i am currently 17 years old.

18. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I gave my sister my Ipad 2 and she seems to have turned out alright...at the very least she is getting better grades than I ever got back in HS.

Anyway these kind of questions are kind of hard to answer for you (the OP). That said though buying an Ipad 3 for yourself seems to be the best idea. That way you can pass the Ipad 2 down to your son without seeming like you bought it for him.

19. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

You don't say anything about your budget. If money is tight you have some good suggestions for that. If money is not an issue then I'd say get the iPad 3 now for one of you and in the spring replace the iPad 2 with the newest iPad.

The retina display makes it a lot easier to read for longer times. I've also found that iOS 6 on the iPad 3 works much better with a stylus. It digitizes input more quickly or maybe the drawing speed increased. The result is that handwriting and note taking is more legible. I used to have to write slowly to print something like a capital E otherwise it would look like a bracket [. I don't know how this changed on the iPad 2.

I'm glad to hear your son is doing so well and taking responsibility for his education.

20. lwapps macrumors regular

lwapps

I think with any Apple product you just have to take the plunge, as most of them will be updated before you know it (within a year).

----------

I eat my words! There is a sign of a new iPad coming out http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1462593

21. seb1230 macrumors newbie

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options. As a school administrator I can tell you that many students are bringing technology with them to school these days and it really improves the classroom dynamics. Answers are at the tip of everyone's fingertips, not just the teacher's! I think it's interesting that other people think that it shouldn't be something parents provide their kids. I know, let's make kids get a job and buy their own bike helmets. I never had one growing up and I turned out OK! :rolleyes:

On a side note, I also use Notability "at school" every day and find it extremely useful for notetaking and like that it syncs to my Dropbox so I have my notes when I'm on my computer. Best of luck in your decision!

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

May I ask how old is your son? Are iPads even allowed in school unless he has special permission from his IEP? ( iPad weren't around when I was in school but was allowed to use a laptop because of my IEP).
    I would wait and see what this iPad mini is all about. If not buy him an iPad 3 as an early Christmas gift. Keep the 2 for you and upgrade in march when the new ones are announced. Sell iPad 2 or keep near the couch when you want to surf the web.