Son of a nutcracker.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minimoose 360, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

So I have the whole Apple induced OCD thing, I'm so careful with my MacBook Pro, so this story really pains me.

Today I was browsing YouTube looking for a video, and I came across one that look promising. I am currently using the HTML5 Beta for YouTube, which has been going quite well....

This particular video screwed up and a huge rape noise blasted out of my MacBook Pro's speakers. Now they sound terrible, like terrible broken speakers. I apologize, I am a bit distraught :(:apple:

You think AppleCare will cover this??

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you tell them they went out while you were watching youtube, and that you're upset because your $2000 machine can't watch youtube reliably, then maybe. the stupider you are, the better, but don't act so stupid you accept their BS if they say no.

And don't tell them the other stuff, that's asking for trouble.

3. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

I've had mine all the way up to hear over the vacuum and they're fine. So I think you should get them fixed, I mean whats the point of the volume bar going that high if it cant handle it?

Just say that the start up sound was really loud and blame that:D

4. Minimoose 360 thread starter macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

My volume was only up the first 5 notches. This was like the audio hardware glitched or something, disregarding the system volume.

5. prodigee macrumors 6502a

That happened to me. Do a hard reboot. Problem solved.

6. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

Yeah that shouldn't happen, I say take it in tell them the same things you said here, and show them how bad they sound.

I'd be surprised if they say no to a repair!

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I've had that fix sound issues on other computers (never had a problem like this on my MBP though). I usually unplug the power and leave the battery out for several minutes, just to be sure. If the battery is built-in, just leaving it shut down for a while should do it. Maybe try doing whatever reset has you hold the power button for 5 seconds while the computer is off (SMC reset?).

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

they should cover it, just say what you were doing, minus the huge rasp noise, that the volume was halfway and they suddenly went horrible...

9. Minimoose 360 thread starter macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Ok thanks for the advice, I'm going to try a hard shutdown, SMC reset, PRAM reset, etc. and will report back. I think it is a hardware issue, because the sound still works, but when I play any audio it has that "playing down the hallway" effect to it.

EDIT: That initial hard boot seems to have fixed it! Interesting. What do you think causes that to happen, so that a simple reboot fixes the problem?

10. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Ive had a problem like you describe happen twice before. One time I tried plugging the output of two computers into one set of speakers with an adapter (not a proper mixer or anything). One time someone plugged a set of speakers into the microphone jack. Rebooting and leaving the power off for a while fixed it in both cases.

I don't really know how to explain the problem. Maybe some circuitry in the sound card gets overloaded. Maybe some capacitors pick up a stray voltage or something. Just playing sound should not cause problems, though. If it happens again, you could take it to Apple and they will probably replace the logic board if it's under warranty.