Son studying in London. Need help understanding iphone hack and rates

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by changejobs, Dec 13, 2010.

1. changejobs macrumors newbie

my son currently has an iphone 4 here in the US. he is about to spend 4 months studying in London. he wants to continue using an iphone while in london, but att's international phone and data rates are just too expensive.
    1 -i am trying to figure out how to hack,
    2 - if its better to hack his old iphone 3 or my old 3gs.
    3- once one of these phones is hacked, what service does he use so he can use the phone, search the web and send international texts and how much it will cost.
    4 - lastly, once the phone is set up to work in london, does he not update itunes or if he does will the iphone stop working.

thank you and happy holidays to all.

2. bella92108 macrumors 68000

IF his phone isn't the latest firmware, it can be jailbroken and then unlocked (see the gazillion how-to's, search)...

Otherwise he can buy an unlocked UK version for about $700 USD for their version of the 16GB (and then you can sell the ATT version for about $600)...

If you want to have him use a an old 3GS it's a lot easier to jailbreak and maintain jailbreak... but still he has to be careful not to update to lose his jailbreak.

At the end of the day, you have to read up on it, all your questions have been asked and answered a million times on this and other sites. If you're not careful to handle with caution and avoid updates\etc, it's better to just buy an unlocked 3GS or 4 in London... or even simpler just buy a basic unlocked phone for him to use while there, then not have to worry about it. lol

3. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

bella,

thank you for your reply.

i have been researching but i am still trying to understand the monthly cost while in London using any of the methods you described. do u or anyone else know which carrier he would get service from in london so that his calling , data and texting back to usa doesn't break me.

4. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Whenever I go to the UK I just grab a UK SIM (I bought my iPhone 4 there so no issues using their SIMs)... runs about £10 (about $15 USD), and lasts me a couple weeks... so maybe have him grab one and see how long it lasts. Since it's prepaid it's really just on him to manage.

Fortunately, their prepaid is relatively cheap.. check out http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go for their tariffs...

Bottom line if you throw on £10 a month you'll get enough data to last a month, 300 texts (UK ONLY), and then can add to it when you need.

5. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

bella,

thank you again. will the phone number he uses be based on the sim card he gets?

6. bella92108 macrumors 68000

yeah when he buys the O2 sim, the number will be on the sim card. Also, not sure how your cash flow situation is, but you can always just buy a iPhone 4 unlocked, have him use it, then sell it when done... you'll get about the same, maybe even more selling it in the US than paid, assuming you save the box and it stays in good condition :)

7. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

that sounds like the best way. i just wish there was a way to get unlimited internATIONAL texts as im sure that will be his biggest use.

8. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Good news, There is:

1) Buy a sim with unlimited or a LOT of data included ie the £10 SIM

2) Install TextFree which will give him unlimited texts back to the US

3) Install Google Voice or Skype or any number of the free voice apps which will let him call back to the US for little or nothing

:)

9. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks once more. happy holidays

10. Mr Mot macrumors member

When I visited the US' I used a program called eirtext pro to text back home to the UK - that freetext program the poster mentioned above sounds pretty similar.
    The only thing is, to reply will cost you as you'll have to reply to his new UK number..
    or is he taking his AT&T iPhone too? (Do you get charged to receive roaming texts?)

Email would be a whole lot easier, there's loads of free WiFi about in london and all of the networks offer data bundles on their prepay tariffs.

Take a look at all of the carriers and see which will suit him best, we have: o2, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange, Virgin, Three and some of the supermarkets even have their own plans (they piggy back on the carriers I've just mentioned. ie, Virgin actually use T-Mobile's network)

o2 were our official carrier for the iPhone up until last year, now all of the networks have a plan aimed towards the iPhone and all offer micro SIMs too.

I'd probably sell the iPhone 4 you have now and buy an unlocked one in the UK, it makes life easier and they seem to sell well back in the US' :)

11. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Regarding Textfree, he'd have a free US textfree number, so it wouldn't cost to send a reply to him :)

And I agree with getting a phone, if u can afford it, have him pickup an unlocked version in London.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

also look into Skype if you don't know about it cheap international calling via Iphone or Computer! Also he could sell his I4 just before he leaves and use the money to buy a unlocked in the UK. getting a Factory unlocked is a much better way to go. he doesn't have to worry about firmware updates or loosing his freedom. also better resale.

13. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

can i still use apple's appstore?

i just jailbroke and unlocked the 3gs. the apple appstore is still on the phone. can i use it to download apps such as facebook app or will i have to use cydia?

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You can use both. Even jailbroken and unlocked, your 3GS will still function just like a "normal" 3GS.

15. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

16. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you.

one other question. is the process any different if i want to jailbreak and unlock an iphone 4?

17. qckslvrsiete, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Ease of jailbreak would depend on the iOS version currently on the phone. When talking about jailbreaking, you can have a "tethered" or "untethered" jailbreak. Essentially, if you are using a "tethered" jailbreak, you will have to plug the phone into your computer and re-run the jailbreak program (i.e. redsn0w) every time the phone is rebooted or the battery dies. For example, if the battery on your iphone dies, you will have to plug it into your computer and re-run redsn0w or the phone will not boot.

An "untethered" jailbreak means that once the phone is jailbroken, you can turn it on and off at your leisure without having to re-run the software.

If your iPhone 4 is running iOS 4.0 or 4.1, there are untethered jailbreak solutions. Currently your only option for iOS 4.2 is tethered.

Once the phone is jailbroken there's no guarantee you'll be able to unlock it. This will depend on the baseband version of the phone (modem firmware). You can find this by going to Settings -> General -> About. Check this before you even jailbreak. If you're fortunate enough to be on iOS 4.0 with the 01.59.00 baseband, then you should be able to jailbreak iOS 4.0 or 4.1 using pwnage tool, which will also allow you to preserve the 01.59 baseband (this is what I have done personally). Once jailbroken with the 01.59 baseband, then you should be able to unlock using UltraSn0w from Cydia.

If you are not on modem firmware 01.59, then there is a (so I've heard) rather UN-stable unlock that involves creating custom firmware with the iPad baseband. I haven't heard many good things about this unlock, and as you seem rather new to the JB scene, I would recommend avoiding it.

I tried to keep this as high level as possible. I'm currently jailbroken on iOS 4.1 with the 01.59 baseband, so I've gone through the process I described above. Before you try anything on your iPhone 4 I would recommend reading through all of the stickies in the iPhone hacks section very carefully so you know exactly what you will be doing before you do anything.

In summary:
    iOS 4.0 + baseband 01.59.00 = untethered jb to iOS 4.1 custom firmware using pwnage tool and unlock using ultrasn0w from cydia

iOS 4.1 (non-custom FW) = untethered jb (limera1n, greenpois0n or pwnage tool) and possible unstable and irreversible unlock using iPad baseband

iOS 4.2 = tethered jb using redsn0w, and possible unstable and irreversible unlock using iPad baseband

Anyone please correct any misinformation I may have provided. This was all based on my own understanding and experience.

NOTE: when I said "irreversible" in reference to the iPad baseband method I meant that no matter what you do you will not be able to change your baseband back to an iPhone baseband and will have to rely on custom firmware as long as you own the phone. This means if a new or critical software update were to come out, you would not be able to upgrade to it until the dev team releases a new way to create custom FW for that version of iOS.

It also means any damage caused to your phone using that unlock method would be irreversible unless the dev team can come up with some kind of software fix. Basically your phone would remain hacked for life, not out of choice, but out of necessity. It will also void your warranty should anything go wrong, and there would be no way to hide that fact from the geniuses as your baseband would clearly display as an iPad modem firmware.

18. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your detailed answer. i will have to reread a few things to fully understand. i used jailbreakme.com to jailbreak the 3gs and ultrasn0w to unlock. i was going to do the same with the iphone 4 but set first to factory settings since jailbreakme would not take its current setting. i will try your way unless you think this is also fine.

19. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Sell the AT&T phone
    Buy one in London that's unlocked

Pop in a o2 sim
    The more you top up the better the allowance
    Have a look at the Your Country in the link

There's international bolt ons to

http://www.o2.co.uk/explore/tariffs/paygo

20. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

If jailbreakme.com wouldn't work on your iPhone 4, then it likely already has iOS 4.1 or greater installed on it, which would also mean that your baseband probably cannot be unlocked using ultrasn0w. If your only reason for jailbreaking is to unlock the phone, then I would recommend you do not try to jailbreak this iPhone 4 as the only unlock solution available for basebands greater than 01.59.00 is reportedly very unstable, takes greater than average how-to by the end user, will void your warranty, disables GPS and is not even guaranteed to work.

21. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know if its better to use the new textfree with voice or the original textfree unlimited

22. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, he has 4.1 as the ios and 2.10.04 as the modem firmware. Is it possible for him to just reset to factory settings and use my previous method?

23. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Reset to factory will only erase all of the data on the phone. It will not revert the firmware or the baseband. The phone with it's current baseband is not unlockable via ultrasn0w (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

24. changejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for you quick and kind response.