Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an ongoing story surrounding the alleged talks between Apple and Australian startup Sonder, The Wall Street Journal is today adding its own set of "people familiar with the plans" to the report. The new article reiterates a 2018 launch window for customizable e-ink keyboards on Apple's MacBook line, which was mentioned in a now-deleted Reddit post that began the rumors last week.

In response to the increasing amount of rumors surrounding Apple and Sonder, the latter company this week has confirmed that it never met with Apple during Tim Cook's travels in China and Japan, suggesting that any talk of Apple's acquisition of Sonder is false.

sonder-keyboard-800x293.jpg

In a press release, Sonder CEO Francisco Serra-Martin stated that the original article by The Guardian -- which ignited the story on the back of the Reddit post -- "contains a number of factual errors." Serra-Martin confirmed that he "did not meet Tim Cook on Wednesday 12th October 2016," which The Guardian story said he did, without providing specifics of the meeting and its potential relation to acquisition talks.
The Guardian's article "Apple in talks to acquire Australian startup Sonder" contains a number of factual errors. Sonder founder Francisco Serra-Martins did not meet Tim Cook on Wednesday 12th October 2016, although we would very like the opportunity to in the future.

The team at Sonder is pleased with the incredible response from the industry as we continue to present our story. We are not able to comment further on information on any single company or customer. Sonder's E Ink keyboard provides infinite possibilities right at your fingertips and releases later this year.
With Serra-Martin's direct confirmation of the original story's lack of veracity, it appears that, for now, Apple's plans aren't immediately related to introducing the customizable e-ink technology into MacBooks or Magic Keyboards. Sonder's own e-ink "Sonder Keyboard" is launching later this year for $199.

Article Link: Sonder's Customizable E-Ink Keyboard Again Rumored for 2018 MacBooks as CEO Denies Meeting Tim Cook

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Ridiculous rumor. Apple would never add this functionality to a keyboard for such a low price. :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, this is an interesting concept, but as the main input option for a computer, would likely seem a little too gimmicky for Apple to try to rock the boat. Can you imagine the rush to class action lawsuits if 2 or 3 of these had errors and someone couldn't change their keys back from Mandarin or emojis? Certainly someone would need to cover those lost wages and the emotional distress. :eek:

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
That would be a very cool keyboard, if it could be integrated into a laptop, given Apple's focus on thinner / lighter.

Comment

colorfuel

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2015
I can only imagine the amazement and collective joy as Apple updates the MacBook/air/pro lines this year and then comes out with a courageous and completely new design and device with this tech in 2018.

Comment

napabar

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Uh....why is Macrumors dismissing this? The CEO said he didn't meet with Tim Cook on that date. He didn't say he didn't meet with Time Cook at all.

Comment

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
The screen clearing black flash of e-ink is so inelegant looking I can't imagine it making it onto a MacBook for that reason alone.

Comment

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Ridiculous rumor. Apple would never add this functionality to a keyboard for such a low price. :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, this is an interesting concept, but as the main input option for a computer, would likely seem a little too gimmicky for Apple to try to rock the boat. Can you imagine the rush to class action lawsuits if 2 or 3 of these had errors and someone couldn't change their keys back from Mandarin or emojis? Certainly someone would need to cover those lost wages and the emotional distress. :eek:
Seems like a bizarre reason to shut down this concept.

No point innovating incase some units breakdown I guess.

Comment

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
It's a really cool idea, especially for keyboards in different languages.

The only thing I don't like about the keyboard pictured above is the short shift key on the left side of the keyboard. We're cursed with those in Canada, as every laptop manufacturer seems to choose the "bilingual keyboard" layout because they're required to offer that as an option, and it's cheaper to just make it the default instead of providing an actual choice. I can't stand keyboards like that. Theoretically, it makes it easier to type in French. But in practice, it messes up my typing. Every time I try to hit the left shift key, I end up hitting that extra key instead. Very annoying.

Thankfully, Apple mainly sells laptops with US style keyboards in Canada, and gives people the choice to order the bilingual keyboard if they prefer that layout.

Comment

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

I don´t think Apple is deterred by the risk of class action lawsuits. Americans file these suits already when Federighi brushes his hair the wrong way or if --god-forbid-- an Apple employee should decide to tuck their shirt in their pants.

Reactions: Borin and HArzeh
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.