Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetestbaboon

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Quick question (& apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I did search & found nothing, but may've missed something):
Can I convert songs already on my iPad to a lower bitrate & if so, how?
If not, do I have to re-import all my tunes in order to convert?
I'm also manually managing my music so it's not my entire library. Can I make a playlist of the songs on the iPad on my computer so I remember which I want to put back? Or is there a better way to do it entirely?
Sorry, I realize this is probably a silly newbie question, but I'd appreciate a lil' help so I can have some more room on my iPad.
Thanks a bunch, smarter folk than me!

Medium Rare

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
The only way I know is Highlighting the songs that you want to convert in your iTunes library >Advanced>Create AAC version and them import these songs into your iPad. It should convert the chosen songs into 80 kpbs,and then delete the higher bitrate songs in iPad.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quick question (& apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I did search & found nothing, but may've missed something):
Can I convert songs already on my iPad to a lower bitrate & if so, how?
If not, do I have to re-import all my tunes in order to convert?
I'm also manually managing my music so it's not my entire library. Can I make a playlist of the songs on the iPad on my computer so I remember which I want to put back? Or is there a better way to do it entirely?
Sorry, I realize this is probably a silly newbie question, but I'd appreciate a lil' help so I can have some more room on my iPad.
Thanks a bunch, smarter folk than me!

If you are running out of space consider the Cloud storage solution...Lower nitrates do not sound great if you are used to better quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.