song purchased on Ipod Touch cannot load into playlist

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by patp, Dec 25, 2009.

1. patp Guest

purchased a song on my ipod touch - not on my desktop.

the song downloaded fine via wi fi on my ipod touch. The song is in the library and if I select by song or artist, it plays fine etc.

but when I try to make a new playlist via Itunes on my desktop and synch, this song never loads on to the playlist on my ipod. It shows in Itunes, but when i go to my ipod it shows all the other songs I purchased via the desktop computer. It just stays in the library and can only be accessed when i go to the artist or by the song.

I'd like this song to be in my playlists, but no matter what it won't play nice.

I have a 1rst gen Ipod Touch 8GB. Space is not an issue. My Itunes is set to synch manually for music and videos.

It must be something simple I am missing.

BTW the song is Smashing Pumpkins "Tonight, tonight"

Thanks

2. patp thread starter Guest

bump

hoping someone can offer some insight. I realize my questions isn't as important as "which screen protector should I get?" but it may have some usefullness to others with same issue.

Thanks

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I had some funky issue with a song i'd purchased on my Touch (it is the only one i've done), this reminds me it is not on the playlist i wanted it on - so let me try it and see if it works.

I cannot however, remember what the issue was getting it to the desktop. I just know it was something - and I thought, i won't be doing that again! LOL!!

Hmm, it just moved over on a playlist.

Could for some reason you have been logged out of iTunes or something and it just isn't authorized?

I'm not using Manually managed, just "sync only checked playlists", I have you tried to check that one and see if it will move over?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You say your touch is set to manage music manually... so syncing with itunes wouldn't update any songs/playlists on your touch. You need to either make a playlist directly on your touch, or drag and drop the playlist from itunes into your touch.

5. patp thread starter Guest

i did the drag and drop from playlist to my touch. it shows up in the itunes window which shows my ipod contents. but on my touch the song doesn't show up on the list.
    that is the issue.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Weird. Did you try deleting the playlist and dragging it in again? Also, what happens if you try to make a playlist directly on the touch with that song in it?

7. patp thread starter Guest

creating a new playlist in that touch does the same thing, in the itunes window you can see it, but when i go to my touch it doesn't show up. all the other songs show up, but not that one. and that one song was the only one purchased on Itunes.

8. crunch1226 macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem as patp. The only song I have purchased from the touch will not add to the playlist on the touch, even though it shows up in itunes. I also purchased a nano, and the song I purchased from the touch can't even be moved to the nano in itunes. 2 new ipods and I can't even load the first song I purchased! ugh!

9. crunch1226 macrumors newbie

patp, I may have an answer for you. I spent much time with apple support this afternoon. I called into the ipod touch support line, but this really ended up being an itunes issue. In my case, even though the song was on the ipod playlists viewed from the computer, the song was not in the main music library (Library/Music up top). Soooooo..... the itunes department needed to add the song to my download queue again. When I downloaded it this time, the song did show up in the music library, but I had to delete the prior download from the playlists of both ipods and then add the new download to the ipod playlists (and manually sync of course) before the song would finally transfer to each of the ipods. Now the song is where it is supposed to be on the touch and the nano. When I asked support what caused the problem, she said it was basically due to mysterious internet forces and the problem should not happen again BUT since I've never had a problem downloading directly to my computer, I may want to stick with that. The hold time was very long and I'd recommend calling the itunes line first, since they are the only ones who can authorize that the song be added to your download queue. Of course, if your song currently shows up in the music library, then you may have a different problem. Good luck. hth!

10. patp thread starter Guest

Thanks! I suspected that it was an Itunes issue. I'm going to email cust service and see if they can help.

Thanks again for your input!