Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Am working madly trying to get the video of our holiday finished before Christmas and I'm getting there but I'm stuck with a couple of music suggestions to play over certain sections; I've tried a few things but they just don't feel right. Should be something relatively mainstream since this is primarily for my mother and godmother.

So... musical suggestions to go over the San Francisco Halloween in the Castro party (and not the Monster Mash!) and something suitably aweinspiring to go alongside the Grand Canyon. I've got a few ideas for Vegas but more are always good too!

Ta muchly!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Applespider said:
So... musical suggestions to go over the San Francisco Halloween in the Castro party (and not the Monster Mash!)
Have you tried Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party? [US iTMS]

Others:

Ghost Town by The Specials
Radiation Skank by The Toasters
The Lunatics (Have Taken Over the Asylum) by Funboy Three

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Applespider said:
Am working madly trying to get the video of our holiday finished before Christmas and I'm getting there but I'm stuck with a couple of music suggestions to play over certain sections; I've tried a few things but they just don't feel right. Should be something relatively mainstream since this is primarily for my mother and godmother.

So... musical suggestions to go over the San Francisco Halloween in the Castro party (and not the Monster Mash!) and something suitably aweinspiring to go alongside the Grand Canyon. I've got a few ideas for Vegas but more are always good too!

Ta muchly!
for the grand canyon I like the theme from 2001 a space odessey

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Uh....

Halloween: Who Are You? by The Who

Grand Canyon: darn near anything by Yanni.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Thanks guys; will have a listen to some of those when I get home tonight and see whether they'll work.

Not sure why Moby's Porcelain is obvious - will have to get the iPod out and see if I'm missing something in my memory.

Anyone else?

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Applespider said:
Not sure why Moby's Porcelain is obvious - will have to get the iPod out and see if I'm missing something in my memory.

oh, its probably just obvious to me because i write scores for visuals. it's referenced a lot as a temp track for landscape stuff. guess my inner dialog was showing :eek:

another thought( heck, i have no idea what you're going for...) the dixie chicks' "wide open spaces" might also work for the grand canyon.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
HP-> In The Hall Of Mountain King - E.Grieg OR Night On Bald Mountain - Mussorgsky
GC -> Die Weihe ds Hauses - L.V.Beethoven OR Big Country - Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Grofe wrote an orchestral piece called Grand Canyon Suite. There might be something in there that would work with the Grand Canyon part of your video. I don't know how to create a link to iTunes, sorry. Just search for "Grand Canyon Suite"

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I'm home and merrily working my way through the ideas... it's great fun so thanks for all the ideas.

The Hall of the Mountain King would have been ideal except that it was used on a very irritating estate agent advert in the early 90s and I can still hear the darned jingle they used with the music. :p

The Halloween pics really aren't scary in any way; most are just fun ones and the music they were playing there was electronic. I'm not sure about going very spooky. The current choice (after discussing over lunch in the pub today) are the theme from Halloween the movie and Thriller which as the advantage that everyone knows it and it's reasonably 'bouncy'

The Canyon I'm thinking about a few of the ideas above. The Grand Canyon Suite is a great find but it's tough to know whether it will work over several minutes worth from 30 seconds. The Fanfare from the Common Man would also work but not sure whether it's cheesy. Not sure that the Dixie Chicks is what I'm aiming for although it's fun.

I'm wondering whether to go for one of the New Age type Canyon/Native American pieces (on the grounds that that's what they play over the headphones on the way there) like Yanni but since I'm not wildly keen on the panpipes sounds, can't commit myself... argh!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Early by Chicane....

....is a great atmospheric track that would suit the Canyon if you are going for a kind of New Age kind of vibe. I can't find it on iTunes though i'm afraid :(

Ooh ooh, or Drifting Away by Faithless

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=75093684&s=143444&i=75093512

May be a bit too obvious but how about What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=17106563&s=143444&i=17106565

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Spidey.. here's a non-traditional song that might be nice for a panoramic view of the Grand Canyon:

Endless Season - Ken Ishii

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.