Song Tempos?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by HeathLedgerDead, Mar 26, 2009.

1. HeathLedgerDead macrumors newbie

I HAVE A BUNCH OF SONGS IM LOOKING TO COVER USING GARAGEBAND AND STEP 1 IN DOING SO, WOULD BE TO FIND THE TEMPO

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT DOING THAT?

THE WEBSITE JAMGLUE.COM HELPS ME OUT SOMETIMES, BUT IT DOSENT HAVE MOST OF THE SONGS IM LOOKING FOR

2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i normally just mess around with the metronome until it sounds right.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

EDIT: Dumb not to have though of this before I wrote the below..... My $29 Korg metronome and many others has a "tap tempo" feature. I can tap a button in time to the music and that will set the metronome to match my tapping. You could then read the beats per minute from the LCD display. "Tap tempo" is a common feature.

As suggested above, adjust a metronome until it "fits". But you can count off the measures "1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4" for 15 seconds then multiply by 16 (12 or whatever) and get kind of close. Actually I think any musician who practices with a metronome quickly gets a feel for how to attach a "BPM" number to a tempo.

But if you are making your own "cover" all you need to be is "close" as you are not going to be playing with the recored music. Even if you were I'm very sure that the tempo would not remain the same for the entire song. Some parts will be faster, some slower. I'll you need to be is "close" And for that just count for 15 seconds.

4. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

It can also be helpful to look at a clock to ballpark it. 60bpm = one beat per second, so 120bpm is 2 beats per second, 90bpm is 3 beats per 2 seconds, etc. It won't give you an exact number most of the time, but its a great way to get close so you know where to look.

That would be BP4M. You just need to multiply by 4. ;)

oh wait I get it.

Instead of doing measures, just do each beat in case the song is in a different meter than 4/4. 40 beats in 15 seconds = 160bpm regardless of meter.

5. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1