Songbird grow up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Mar 5, 2008.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im testing songbird 0.5 pre, Its a gecko based music player, music manager, web browser, online media collector, etc

0.5pre is based on gecko 1.9

stable version, based on gecko 1.8, is 0.4

+
    1. a full featured tabbed browser
    2. play musics and online radio pretty well
    3. themes/addons

-
    1. 0.5pre is little bit slow to start
    2. switch between full/min mode will reload the webpage, and lose the input on the page (strange)
    3. no context menu in browser

to download nightly 0.5pre http://publicsvn.songbirdnest.com/wiki/Nightly_Builds

to download stable 0.4 http://developer.songbirdnest.com/

overview

[​IMG]

mini mode
    [​IMG]

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

I was never very fond of SOngbird, it feels like it is trying to be too many things at once. I prefer my browser and my music player to be separate, and i want them to do their jobs. I don't want a browser that can play music since then it probably doesn't organize it, or let me find what I am looking for easily (never was over the moon about songbirds organizing or searching), and I don't want a media player that can surf the web because it probably leaves certain things out there as well.

I know that this is just me, and doesn't apply to everyone, but sometimes, convergence is not the answer.

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I agree. Some people likes convergence, some people don't. However, It doesn't hurt to try if the feeling isn't too strong. :)

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't think I want to import my iTunes library (~10GB of data) to the Songbird and have 20GB of music basically duplicated on my drive. Is there any chance they can share the same library? Or have I interpreted this wrong?

The black interface is... yuck. I'm in a very well lit room at the moment and I have to turn the brightness even higher just to navigate (lowers my battery life).

Also, I noticed KERA on your screen shot. Let me guess, you're in the Dallas area? :p

Attached Files:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Last I tried Songbird, it didn't really care where your files were... so I'm pretty sure it could use the iTunes library without having to duplicate it.

TBH, though, the only thing I like about Songbird is the search tool for looking for songs from blog sites.... and that could be done on the web probably almost as easily.

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, :) dry place, mostly, :D

I found browsing+playing music use quite alot of CPU with songbird as well.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

there is a white skin.

and songbird doesn't pull that "grabs the music and dupes it in its own folder" crap like itunes.

8. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

To me, it just seems like Songbird is trying to be iTunes and Safari at once. Personally, I'd rather have my media separate from my browser. It just becomes too busy with everything together. And the look...it's hideous. It looks like a distorted version of itunes. Just my 2 cents.