Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

question

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
hello,

i have a brand-new mac (just switched from PC, but i've used macs most of my life) and i'm adding a bunch of mp3s from my old computer, which i burned onto cds, to the itunes library. my problem is that many of the songs appear TWICE or even three times in the itunes library after i add them. in the actual music folder they also appear twice, labeled as (for example) neil young - harvest moon.mp3 and neil young - harvest moon 1.mp3. some of the folders i added to the itunes library were full albums that had .m3u playlists included in the folders, and i think the playlists may have caused this problem? is this the cause, and is there any easy way to get rid of the duplicate files (besides manually deleting each one?)

thanks!

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
question said:
hello,

i have a brand-new mac (just switched from PC, but i've used macs most of my life) and i'm adding a bunch of mp3s from my old computer, which i burned onto cds, to the itunes library. my problem is that many of the songs appear TWICE or even three times in the itunes library after i add them. in the actual music folder they also appear twice, labeled as (for example) neil young - harvest moon.mp3 and neil young - harvest moon 1.mp3. some of the folders i added to the itunes library were full albums that had .m3u playlists included in the folders, and i think the playlists may have caused this problem? is this the cause, and is there any easy way to get rid of the duplicate files (besides manually deleting each one?)

thanks!

Are you sure it's really a duplicate or are they just pointers in a playlist? Do they appear twice in the master library list?

I personally wouldn't recommend going into the itunes library folder and hacking around unless you really know what your doing. This is basically a database and moving, deleting, etc. files will probably give you other problems.

About2SwitchOvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2004
Boston
Samething happened to me...

question said:
hello,

thanks!

Hey buddy, I was in the same boat with you...
What had happened with me, was that all the songs I brought INTO iTUNES made another copy.. and was forwarded to it's own sub root under my MUSIC folder.
What I eventually ended up doing, was on your iTunes Playlist [Library], simply click on a song where it appears twice.. and right click, or get info, and click on FIND FILE.. Doing this for a couple of songs, you'll probably get a hint as to what happened, and if there really ARE two copies of one song on the hard drive...

question

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
thanks guys...
the songs do appear twice in the library, and when i click on "get info" it shows that there actually are two copies of each song (they have the same file name, just with "1" after the second copy, and are in the same folder.) any advice? thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.