Songs Are All Gone On Ipod!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmacatac2002, Jul 21, 2008.

1. jmacatac2002 macrumors member

I just lost over 4,500 songs on my Ipod. . .
    ----------------------------
    So I've been having trouble with my Ipod recently, ever since I've downloaded various iTunes updates (7.7). . .

For a while, the Ipod library would not show up on itunes, and yet would be connected to my MAC, and showing up on my desktop

. . .I've seen messages that stated my ipod was corrupt, to the USB port is weak, to not being able to find the ipod and you should restore

At one point the ipod just stopped playing the music that was clearly on there when disconnected from the Mac

. . . I fixed it by plugging my Ipod into my PC, and it downloaded an update onto my actual iPod and it started working again

TODAY, after playing music all day long, A song I kept clicking on would not play, and would cause iTunes to freeze, so in frustration, I turned the MAC off, disconnected the ipod and poof all information erased...plugged into Mac, itunes says the following:

"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPod "JUSTIN'S IP". Go to the Summary tab in iPod preferences and click Restore to restore this iPod to factory settings."

WHAT SHOULD I DO??????

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Are these songs no longer on your computer as well?

3. jmacatac2002 thread starter macrumors member

There not on my computer, they're on an external harddrive at least 95% of them are.

I just went ahead and restored it, I'm pretty sure that itunes, or the MAC decided to manually, for whatever reason, erase my songs all on its own.

So I'm trying to place the songs back on from my external using the Mac, and yet, it has frozen or is still loading...so I don't know what's wrong, I'm better off trying this on my 4 year old, somewhat slow PC. . . I don't run into these problems.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Probably a corrupt library file on the iPod. Happened to my 5thGen 80gb recently.

5. jmacatac2002 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know how that happened. . .

I restored it twice and its still not acting right!!!

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Judging from the behavior you described it sounds like your iPod's HD is in its death throes. It's not the computer or iTunes that caused this; all hard drives fail eventually, some just sooner than others.

7. jmacatac2002 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean its a Hard Drive issue??

What could I've done to cause it. . . I've had the Ipod since December or January of this year, and already its Hard Drive, it was working fine like 30 min. ago. . .

I brought this Ipod for roughly $300 hoping that it wouldn't break down in the way at which it has. . .

Now I can't even put songs on it through the MAC,

Its seems to function to a certain degree better than in does on the PC then the MAC

8. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Assuming you have a classic and not a nano or a touch, the HD is a mechanical device and therefore is one of the more likely things to fail between bad sectors and various mechnical issues. It probably isn't a result of anything you've done unless you've been banging it around quite a bit. Since you're still under the year warranty I would just take it down to a local Apple store/call the help line and get it replaced.

Simply put, occasionally **** happens, regardless of how high quality a device you get.

9. jmacatac2002 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I guess that's what I'm going to have to do

10. jmacatac2002 thread starter macrumors member

I'm still playing with it to see if I can get it to work myself...
    Because I believe its more than just a hard drive issue, I would hate to get another and it still have the same exact issues. . .

How do you explain this. . . To a certain extent it works better in my PC then in my MAC (at least now it does). If it is a hard drive issue shouldn't it respond poorly to both the Mac and the PC?

- Now grant it, my PC is extremely slow anyway, that's why I don't use it, but now the Mac with the iPod is just as slow.

11. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

How old is it?

If you take it to the iPod bar at you local Apple Store they may be able to fix it.

If the price of the repair is close to the price of a new iPod, I would trade in the broken one for a discount off a new one.