Songs bought on iTunes can play on Android?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chestvrg, Feb 19, 2011.

1. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I have bought a couple of $.99 songs on iTunes using Soundhound music identifier program. Everything is cool, once synced the songs all transferred to my PC's iTunes player.

My question is, can I transfer these same songs bought on the iTunes store on an Android device such as the Factory unlocked Galaxy S GT-i9000M? Please help.

iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yes, as long as the song is an "iTunes plus" song, it has no drm and should play fine on your android phone.

3. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Thank you, but how do I know is an iTunes+ or that it is not DRM?

iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

4. AdrianK, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

Anything that you've purchased since the 25th of June last year will be DRM free.

EDIT: iTunes went DRM free Spring '09, my bad!

You can also 'upgrade' anything which is non-iTunes Plus for a small free. Fair? No. Worth it? Definitely, iTunes plus uses 256kb/s AAC vs 128kb/s AAC for DRM content, so it will sound a lot better.

5. chestvrg, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011

chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Thank you so much Adrian and Fernandez, I have like 600+ songs from my personal CD collection and some that have been downloaded via other sources (ares and so on),...

But I want paid high-quality music and so I plan to replace like 60+ songs from a good online music library such as iTunes, but this DRM signature makes me think twice whether it will play on any device I want to (such as Android devices for example), after all the music is mine, I buy it and should have the right to play it on any device I want. But now I will also check out Amazon music store to see what type of music it is and if it is DRM. Also I prefer 192Kbps instead of 128Kbps, I dont know what the AAC stands for, but will check.

Thank you so much guys.

Look what I just found out at Amazon music store

"Songs from Amazon MP3 can be played on any MP3-capable device, including iPods™, Zunes™, Zens™, iPhones™, RAZRs™, BlackBerrys™, and most media-enabled mobile phones. Our files are free of digital rights management (DRM) software, so you can burn your songs to CDs, play them on all your computers, and transfer them to all your devices. Songs are encoded at 256 kbps (learn more about MP3 bitrates), which means you get high audio quality at a manageable file size."

Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/help/faq.html

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I could not agree more, what we pay for is ours. Since *everything* on iTunes is now DRM you don't have to worry :) Though I still prefer CDs, myself.

AAC is a lossy storage format for audio, like mp3, but slightly newer. Some argue that it gives better results at lower bitrates, but of course that's debatable. All recent audio players support it (all apple devices, android devices, mp3 players etc).

So iTunes and Amazon are both 256kb/s, only difference is AAC vs mp3. My vote would go to iTunes, for AAC and better user experience (better UI etc).

7. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Thank you so much. I will perhaps look for another music library, if only amazon music could be installed on iPhones right LOL

iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I buy music on Amazon, when I can't find it in the iTunes store, and install into iTunes, and sync to iPhone. Works great!

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Sounds like you guys were really misinformed :(

AmazonMP3 sells .. MP3s. They play on anything that supports the MP3 format including every iDevice Apple has ever made.

iTunes in the past 2 years or so has been selling M4A files (unencrypted AACs). They used to sell M4Ps and you still have to pay 30 cents to "upgrade" them. There's a page out there where it'll take you to iTunes' Store and ask if you want to upgrade your entire library or just songs 1-by-1.

Funny thing - on my G4 it actually offered me the ENTIRE library despite many of the songs being M4A already. Be warned!

M4P files are not playable on anything not made by Apple.

That's why I don't buy music from them anymore >>

10. chestvrg, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011

chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I should start doing the same.

No I know where I will invest in upgrading my 60+ songs I have in mine and they'll sure will be from Amazon in MP3 format that can play on anything (Apple or non Apple).

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can use iTunes if you want, as Joe said in the post above, it is the M4P's that won't play on everything, and Apple has been selling the M4R's for the past 2 years.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That would be M4A.

M4Rs are ringtones.

Not that these file extensions actually mean anything.

You could rename an M4A song file to a .txt file and it would still be a song. It doesn't magically change into text!

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Thanks...I just fat fingered it!:D I knew that the R was ringtone and the A is audio.