Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcafaro10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I've noticed a problem where a few songs cut out after a few seconds playing them. I'm pretty sure t's not the songs themselves because they play fine on my computer. The first time I noticed it, it kept cutting out at the same point in a song so I just replaced that one song but it still cut out. I'm using winamp to put these songs on my touch but I don't see that being the problem.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Use iTunes, that is why it is there. Using any unofficial ways of getting your songs on your iPod is just asking for trouble like this.

TEG

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
I've noticed a problem where a few songs cut out after a few seconds playing them. I'm pretty sure t's not the songs themselves because they play fine on my computer. The first time I noticed it, it kept cutting out at the same point in a song so I just replaced that one song but it still cut out. I'm using winamp to put these songs on my touch but I don't see that being the problem.

why use winamp???

iTunes is there for that reason

jcafaro10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I love winamp, I use it for everything. I don't think that winamp is the problem though, as I've heard people getting similar behavior using itunes. Is the ipod particularly picky about music formats? Does it like a certain encoding of mp3 better than others?

I'm going to try transferring the songs in itunes and see if that fixes it, otherwise i'll try and track down the song formats to see if there's a pattern

jcafaro10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Well rencoding the song seemed to work but now I'm going to have to reencode the songs that don't work. Idk why it won't just play it

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Your files have bad headers. iTunes would have detected it and either reformed the headers (while renaming and reorganizing) or gave you and error message with that information. The iPods/iPhone/iTunes are very purposeful on how they decode the file headers, any error will cause them to fail.

TEG

jcafaro10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
It seems that its mostly older songs so I think I'll just reencode a bunch of them

thatonekid393

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
My Touch cut out from Money Talks by AC/DC after the second chorus

I'm guessing it might be related to how old the mp3 is.
I'll get another one.

thatonekid393

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
Little update
I got a new copy of Money Talks from the interwebs.
It works :)
I guess the only thing I can say is get a new copy of that song that cuts out for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.