Songs end early on iPod 5.5G

Discussion in 'iPod' started by SuperSnake2012, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 11, 2005
    I have the 80GB 5.5G iPod... a bunch of my songs just end early... like they will just skip to the end and the iPod will show there being two seconds left but the song just stops playing... these songs work fine in iTunes but they keep messing up on my iPod. I tried restoring... any other ideas?
  2. 66217 Guest

    Jan 30, 2006
    Not really sure if this can be the problem, but try updating the ID3 tags to the V2.4. That helped when I burned a CD to use it in an mp3 player. It wasn't displaying the name properly and after updating ID3 tags it worked.
  3. iToaster macrumors 68000


    May 3, 2007
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    This might be one of those "gapless album" things. Try turning it off, that's all I have to say.
  4. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

    Kermit the frog

    May 30, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    yah i agree with the gapless album. try turning it off
  5. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 11, 2005
    I tried converting the culprit song to ID3 v2.4 and made all songs not gapless, but it didn't work. This specific song stops playing about a minute before it's supposed to :mad:
  6. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 11, 2005
  7. 66217 Guest

    Jan 30, 2006
    Clearly the songs are fine. If they work in iTunes they should work in the iPod.

    Try changing the iPod Preferences, maybe that can help.

    But I am out of ideas of what else can be the problem.

    What kind of song are the ones that don't work? Self-recorded?
  8. nobrainer440 macrumors newbie

    Jun 13, 2007

    I'm having this problem too and its driving me insane. The ends of the songs on three of my favorite CD's get chopped off 20-60 seconds early. They are not VBR mp3's like some previous generations have had problems with, and they all play perfectly in itunes.
  9. ahwang macrumors newbie

    Jul 20, 2008
    omg this is happening to me too. i think the songs that are having the problems are ones that i replaced. let me explain: i had some songs that friends gave me that were pretty low quality. i ended re-reripping the songs myself in V0. instead of adding the file as a new song, i deleted the old file and redirected the original song in itunes to the new file so that it would stay in playlists, keep equalizer info, ratings, play counts, etc.

    can this be causing the problem?
  10. pope523 macrumors newbie

    Sep 14, 2008
    I did the same thing and I've got the same problem now. I'm sure removing the songs from the library, then readding them would fix the problem, but I don't want to lose my play count and ratings and everything. I can't believe no one had figured out how to fix this yet. I used to work for one of the (American) outsourcing partners that provides the iPod+iTunes tech support, and I can't figure it out.
  11. knux11 macrumors regular

    Apr 22, 2008
    This sounds familiar.....

    I have/had the exact same issue, same iPod as well.

    On my 60gb ipod video i never had this issue tho, so i think it's something to do with the 5.5g and up firmware (does it on my iphone too).
    some songs will end very early, some play fine, others end 10 seconds into the song. all play fine in itunes.
    When i had my 5g video and iphone, i played a problem track on both. I usually noticed some type of sound imperfection on the audio at the same point the track on the iphone would end. So i assume it had something to do with how it was ripped.

    Does this ever happen with a track downloaded from itunes? I have bought exactly one album from itunes ever, and that was last month, most of the rest of my 40gb music collection was ripped. I assume there was an issue in the ripping process. Most of my collection was ripped with musicmatch, back before i had an iPod (or a mac for that matter).

    Every time I find a track that has a problem, it's usally a problem with numerous tracks from that same album. So my solution is, i'll take the mp3 tracks and make a new CD using Toast. I use a CD-RW. Note I DON'T use itunes to burn the CD, it will still have the problem (i tried). Then I delete the mp3 tracks from both itunes and the computer, and re-import from the CD. Then i go back to toast and erase the CD-RW. I've never had a problem with a track after using this method, and I waste no CDs (just time). Since my library is so big, I only do this as i come across a problem track. Works for me.

    When this first happened i looked for others with this prob, i was amazed that I found nothing. I've had this problem ever since the 1G iphone came out.

    I never use ratings, play count, etc so all those stats mean nothing to me. If there's an easier solution, I'd sure like to hear it.

    P.S.- I just realized how old this thread is. Never saw it before.

Share This Page