Songs from iTunes or youtube

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martosprint, Apr 21, 2015.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

I download a couple of songs on the iPhone from iTunes. Now do those songs take up space on the iPhone, as compared to downloading songs using the youtube app? Which is the best way to download music to save space on the iPhone? Any particular app do you recommend? I hope I am explaining this the right way because I never stored any songs or music on my phones before.
    thanks for a reply

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

If you use iCloud then app purchases (Movies, TV Shows, Music) are stored on iTunes in the cloud for streaming. The songs do not take any space as they are not directly downloaded. Deleting songs in the music removes it from the phone storage, but will be able to play by stream.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If you purchase songs from iTunes, they usually download to the phone and take up space unless you pay for iTunes Match ($25/year).

Youtube does not have a downloading feature. You're streaming the songs using your data connection and "paying" for the songs through ads.

Streaming services seem to be the way people listen to music on their phones anymore. Spotify has a free version where you can stream songs with ads and download songs to your phone for up to 30 days at a time. You can pay $9.99/month to get ad-free streaming. I'm not sure how the downloads work with the paid version.

Personally I'm old school and store a few gigs of iTunes purchases on my phone. I have my entire library on my iPod Classic as well. It's less expensive for me that way.

4. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks for those answers and it makes it a little better for me to understand.