Songs on iPod, not in iTunes--can't sync

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dedukes, Dec 4, 2007.

1. dedukes macrumors newbie

dedukes

Hi. My iTunes library suddenly lost certain sets of songs. They still exist on my iPod. I'm baffled as to how this happened, though it wouldn't be the first time I've inadvertently deleted something important from my hard drive with no recollection of doing so.

Anyway, has anyone seen this problem before? And is there a way of syncing itunes to the library on my ipod, rather than the other way around?

2. sndcj1 macrumors member

2 ways to do this (I think)

1. If they were purchased songs, itunes should ask you if you want to re-import them from your ipod.

2. If not, then I think you have to go the long route, create another user on your computer, plug in your iPod, tell it not to sync to that library. Go out and download one of the programs that gets your music off your iPod and copy it to the new user account, and then get it transfered over to your old account.

The biggest problem is that if you have it set to auto-sync your music, it will delete those songs without asking you if you plug it into your normal itunes library.

3. dedukes thread starter macrumors newbie

dedukes

sigh. okay, that's what I figured (re: solution #2). thanks.

4. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Hi, can someone recommend any freeware for Option #2

Is for a friend that lost all his iTunes Musci (14GB) when his girlfriend sold her laptop (Winblows) and he does not want to loose those 14GB of music, or better say he does not want to re-download all that music again to his computer, since he has all those CD's but is too much work for him.

Any suggestions?

5. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

senuti is good...
    but I like ipoddisk better (googlecode)...you will need to install macfuse for ipooddisk though.

6. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

yea, depends on what he's using, i like senuti on the mac but it is not windows capable yet

7. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

oops...I have overread that he is on a pc...
    then there is yamipod which I quite like.

8. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Yeap, Thanks I've sent him the link for yamipod... :p

And I've already told him, next time;
    a- Don't use your girlfriend's computer
    b- Get your own computer
    c- Have a god%*&$^% Backup

9. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

thanks...
    yep...backing up sure is something many people just don't do which I can't get...