Songs removed so they can bee 100% iTunes Plus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by big_malk, Apr 7, 2009.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

A few weeks ago I bought a song called 'Hello Upsy Daisy!' for my niece, it's from a Cbeebies show called 'In the Night Garden', and I'd been a bit hasty and assumed it would be iTunes Plus and DRM free, but it wasn't.

Today I noticed that iTunes is '100% iTunes Plus', so I went to find this song to upgrade it to iTunes Plus, but it seems to be no longer available.

I guess no one can know for sure, but it looks like Apple have removed songs where they couldn't get agreement to make the iTunes Plus, so they could advertise that iTunes is '100% iTunes Plus'.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's quite possible, but also songs had a tendency to appear and disappear from the iTunes Store long before iTunes Plus became an issue... presumably because they were covered under temporary contracts or because of some other kind of commercial finagling.

3. adge-uk macrumors newbie

It looks like it, I have some quite obscure stuff like Sunn O))) that you can search for and find but when you click on the artist it goes to a search failed page.

I just googled for this and found this thread... Looks like instead of getting on with the upgrade they have descoped their library. I have 856 DRM itunes songs left that I hoped I could upgrade... Let's hope they do bring them back in.

4. Spades macrumors 6502

Somebody should ask Apple how much their library has shrunk by to pull off being 100% iTunes Plus.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I believe that's true. I know that the first two Harry Potter movie soundtracks are gone right now because I've been waiting to upgrade them and haven't been able to. I did a search and they're nowhere to be found.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I had a few songs in my shopping cart that are now grayed out. I was able to find other versions of them, but not the same one (e.g., I had extended version, but all that's available now is radio/album edit).

So, yeah, I think this happened. Not sure if they'll be back, but I suspect for now they dropped some songs to do this.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We had a few songs become available for upgrade over night.