Songs Repeat Even Though Repeat is Off

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by melissapete24, Dec 18, 2013.

1. melissapete24, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

melissapete24 macrumors member

I've scoured the internet and this forum, and I can't find my problem anywhere, so I figured I'd ask you guys, because you always help me out. I have an iPad 4 that I bought about a month before the iPad Air came out. (Don't even get me started on that. I was so mad that I just needed to hold out another month! Haha!) It's running the latest iOS 7 version. Ever since I got my iPad, I've been noticing an issue with my repeat, namely it's repeating even though it shouldn't be. Whether I've chosen an artist, genre, or playlist, if I've got it set to shuffle, even though I know for a fact that there's only one of each song in the selected group, and after triple-checking (or more!) that repeat is turned off, there are always several songs that are played twice. And this happens only when it's set to shuffle, not when it's playing songs in order. The repeated songs aren't played in a row. A song will play, then several others, and then, all of a sudden, the first song will be playing again. I've gone through my iPad library, and there are no duplicates. I've checked my iTunes Match: again, no duplicates. I've turned off my internet, thinking somehow it's reading from both the songs actually downloaded on my iPad and my iTunes Match at the same time. I've even gotten desperate enough and completely restored both my iTunes Match account (emptied it out and re-matched all 2000+ songs) and my iPad, and I STILL have my iPad repeating things. And, yes, I know how to check whether or not repeat is on, and it is off. I've also turned repeat on and back off while playing music, thinking maybe it just needs a little "jog" to get it working. No dice. And it doesn't repeat EVERY song on my chosen group, just some. And it's never the same songs in that group; each time I shuffle whatever category, different songs repeat. Quite frankly, I am absolutely baffled. I can't find anything out there on the internet except posts about people not knowing where the repeat is and how to turn it off and on, but I already KNOW that. Help would be HUGELY appreciated! Now it's just bugging me simply because I for once found a problem I truly cannot fix myself! :confused:

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yikes, ever heard of paragraphs? Reading this made my head hurt. :p

Out of curiousity have you tried restarting your device? That seems to fix weird issues a lot of the time. By Restart I mean hold power > slide to power off> power button after screen goes black.

3. melissapete24 thread starter macrumors member

Ahaha. Yes, and normally I use them quite well, but I had to crank this out as quickly as possible over my 15-minute break at work. Also, I have done both the reset (hold power and home 'til the Apple logo comes up), and rebooting.

And, as if to add insult to injury, I'm sitting here at my desk at work, listening to a playlist that has only THREE songs on it, shuffle on and repeat off, and I just heard every song twice now. *facepalm* Any help for the poor person slowly going insane over here? :p

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I can't quite figure out what is happening. When repeat is OFF it means OFF. I don't understand how it's repeating the same songs.

Have you tried to use task switcher to close and relaunch the music app?

Have you tried to recreate the playlist? Does it do this from the songs section of the music app too or just in playlists?

5. melissapete24 thread starter macrumors member

The answer to all these questions is, with a sigh, yes. I'm anal about making sure any unnecessary apps are turned off, so I'm CONSTANTLY doing just that. As for the playlist, it's not just ONE playlist, it's ANY playlist...if I shuffle it. I'm not going to try re-creating every playlist; that would take much too long. Haha. I have a lot.

And, yes, it does it in songs, albums, genres, artists, playlists, genius...and if I ever used it, I'm sure it would do it in compilations and composers, too. That is the ONLY consistency: if it's on "shuffle" it repeats songs, even if there's only one copy of each song. And, as I said before, it doesn't repeat ALL of them, just some. And it doesn't always repeat the same song.

Example. Hypothetically speaking, let's say I have a playlist of 3 songs: song A, song B, and song C. If I turn on shuffle, but NOT repeat, it will play through the playlist randomly, as it should, B, A, C, but I will hear maybe song B a second time. Then, next time I shuffle the playlist, it may play song C twice: A, C, B, C.

I hope that helps a bit. Same deal with artists, songs, etc. Like I said: I am BAFFLED. And annoyed. :confused:

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Silly question but is it possible you actually have the repeated songs more than once on your phone? I had this issue once and it turned out I had the same song copied over 2 times.

7. melissapete24 thread starter macrumors member

I wish I did. That would solve everything. But no, I don't. I've checked. And sorry I'm so late replying. Holidays had me BUSY. So good to be back to normal! Haha! But, yeah, as to your question: nope. Only once. I checked after reading your reply. Each song, one time. *bangs head off wall* Technology: it's a love-hate relationship.... :(

8. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Perhaps it may be an actual bug with the software. Is anyone else able to replicate this?

Also... I know people usually don't like doing this but have you tried restoring? It MAY fix the problem. Don't know how much time you're willing to put in for it to maybe fix the problem.

9. RoyalStone macrumors member

Maybe a stupid comment, but is it possible you are confused as to what is on or off? Have you tried toggling repeat on to see if the songs stop repeating?

10. melissapete24 thread starter macrumors member

If you read my original post, I already tried that. I was willing to put the time in, so I did so. And then, for good measure, I completely re-did my iTunes Match library as well, and re-downloaded all my songs from my iTunes Match library onto my iPad via iTunes Match on my iPad. And it didn't help.

----------

I know when repeat is on or off. And, as I said, not all songs repeat. Only a handful or so. I have a playlist of 240 songs. If I set it to shuffle, with repeat turned off, there's always at least 5 or 6 that will repeat, and the rest will only play once. If I had repeat turned on, it wouldn't just repeat some songs and not others. And, if you'll read in my original post, I also tried toggling between repeat on and repeat off to see if it just needed a "memory jog" so to speak, and still the same deal. About half a dozen songs, or a little more, repeat, and the rest only play once, as they should.

11. bayleyyy macrumors newbie

This happens to me too, I know exactly what you're talking about!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

12. rawxing macrumors newbie

I don't get the songs repeating in the same playlist as the original poster alludes to, but I find that even with repeat turned off (and shuffle on), when my iphone (5, running latest iOS) gets to the end of a playlist, it will repeat anyway. Noticed it a few times before, but lately I've been trying to listen to one playlist then change while at work.

I was listening to a 23 track playlist yesterday and noticed I was at track 20, then about 20 minutes later it was still going, went and looked and it was back at track 2. This isn't confined to custom playlists, when I was listening to a full artist in the library, it did the same thing.

To be honest, it's not that annoying, but still something that shouldn't happen!

13. melissapete24 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, it's so good to hear that I'm not the only one!!! It must be a bug, then, I guess. Hopefully iOS 7.1 will fix that! Until then, I guess I'll have to deal.

14. rawxing macrumors newbie

so far hasn't happened today after upgrade to 7.1!

15. melissapete24 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, my iPad is STILL doing it. *shrugs* I give up. lol