Songs syncing to my Ipod I dont' want sync'd

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by durkeed, Apr 10, 2009.

1. durkeed macrumors newbie

First of all, i'm a new Ipod user so my appologies if this question is elementary to those of you who are seasoned Ipoders. I have been using Itunes for quite some time for music downloads but just recently acquired my first Ipod. I have some songs that I downloaded for my niece's Christmas Ipod. Nothing against Hanna Montana, but I really would rather listen to John Mayer.

My question is how do I keep Hanna off of my Ipod. A friend at work said just uncheck those songs and re-sync and they will disappear from my Ipod. Tried that. They are still there. Any suggestion would be helpful.:eek:

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

We'll need to know a few things before we can give further suggestions...

What type of iPod-- shuffle, nano, classic, Touch?
    Do you manage your iPod's contents manually, or do you have it set to automatically sync with a certain playlist (or the Library in general)?

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In iTunes, click on your ipod, then take a look at the "summary" tab. Make sure "Sync only checked songs" is checked.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

As your library of music grows, this is usually a better approach. If your iPod capacity is less than all your music, this is almost mandatory.

You can use the "check" approach. You could also create a playlist that includes everything except Hannah Montana (or any other music that's your daughter's). You could also create a separate playlist for that in case you want to let her listen sometime.

5. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

I second the playlist approach. I've owned various iPods for years, and I started by setting "Sync Only Checked Songs" in the preferences and then unchecking everything I didn't want synced. As my collection grew to 3,000 songs, however, I found I got more mileage by creating playlists and syncing only those playlists that I wanted, and sequestering songs that I was less likely to listen to, but might want to sometimes, to separate playlists. You can also do a little of both--you may have a "Rock/Pop" playlist, for example, where Springsteen and U2 are checked, and Miley Cyrus/Hanna Montana isn't.

There are a lot of options for this kind of organization in iTunes--this thread hasn't even touched on the smart playlists.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yep gotta make sure 'sync with checked songs' is selected.

i would recommend to make playlists of what you like too. i have over 8000 songs and it's just too hard to manage checking that many songs.

7. durkeed thread starter macrumors newbie

i will try the play list approach

That's a good idea about using a playlist to manage my music. I will give that a try.

And I'm using an Ipod Touch 2G

Thanks for all of the help.